Monday, November 28, 2011

secret 17 of 100 . . . and updates

I'm a sneak. 
(That's the secret.)  

(But there's a little more to it.)
When I really want to write a lot, I have to get out of my house. My favorite haunt is the back-right corner of the local library beside the YA section where the chairs are soft and the windows have a picturesque view. Seriously, it's perfect. Just writing this makes me want to head for the stacks. But no worries, I'm a finisher. So let's get this thing done.

So the thing is when I'm writing, there's something else I have to have--and not just want, but really, truly, honest-to-Betsy need! 

A Coke Zero. (I'm a huge DC fan, but when it comes to writing there's something in the ZERO that get's my writing juices flowing. And when I say flowing I mean like 11K words a day.)

So the problem? 
No food or drink is allowed in the library. 

Thus the secret: I'm a sneak. 


UPDATE: I took last week off to gorge my body on food. Yeah, yeah, you probably already figured that out. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too . . . that is, if you celebrate the holiday. But if you're like Iain from England, I hope you just had another great week of regular week stuff. 

QUESTIONS: I'm curious, where do you write best? Also, we're all sneaks sometimes, right? When are you super sneaky? And if you're really not sneaky, what did you do last week

 

36 SPLURTS:

prerna pickett said...

I have to have a quiet corner somewhere to write. My best ideas and scenes come to me right before bedtime (very inconvenient). So I make sure I have a pen and paper on hand when inspiration strikes!

Maggie said...

Wow, 11,000 words a day? I maybe ought to check out this Coke Zero thing!

Angela Cothran said...

I'm a sneak too. My treat of choice gummy bears :) I hope no librarians read your blog.

I need quiet to write, but any where quiet will go for me.

Anonymous said...

Haha - yeh also from the UK so no treats for me.

I'm too worried I'll get caught to be a sneak. Although, I'll do it at the cinema - as I think its daylight robbery the prices they charge.

I'm a die hard fan of DC myself - curses - its just too good.

Jessie Humphries said...

I like to sneak cheap candy into the movies. I hate paying $5 for a friggin box of Junior Mints! I love you too. Like a lot. So send me your dang crap!

Aubrey said...

I love that you're a sneak. ;)

When I really want to get writing done I need to be out of the house too. The best time I had writing was at a retreat. Nothing but writers, computer, notebooks and some headphones for music. Yummy snacks and shared meals with fabulous friends. It was the best writing experience of my life. I need one every weekend.

Jennie Bennett said...

I totally did that the other day! Seriously the best! :)

Jenny S. Morris said...

I sneak like Jessie. Popcorn and drinks are not worth my arm. I write best in my room.

Cristina said...

11,000 words????

I'm off to buy a case of Coke Zero......

Anonymous said...

I'm definitly a movie snack sneak. I bring my own popcorn! Not just because of prices, but my tongue always feels fuzzy after eating their weird, fake butter.

I also sneak at home. Got all my goodies hidden from the kids and have to sneak and get nibbles here and there in the day without being found out. :P

~Amy

Meredith said...

Haha, a little bit of sneaking is good for you. Also, 11K words a day? That's incredible!

Melissa Sarno said...

Ha! Love that you have a spot and that you sneak in the good stuff. I alternate between writing at my desk and the couch in my 'office'. When I have a rare day off and no one else is in my apartment, I write at my kitchen table and the sun pours in. It is my favorite spot because it's special and because of the sun.

David P. King said...

The next time I see a Coke stain on my library book ... ;)

That's awesome. I've yet to really find a place that works best for my writing. I'm been transient for years. Now that I have a home of my own, I can finally set up my dream nook. Hopefully that'll do that trick.

Leigh Covington said...

LOL! I love how this all comes together! You are so funny. I am a sneak too. I can't help myself - sometimes a girls got to do, what a girls got to do!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Same library, but LEFT corner. Seriously-- what are you doing in the right corner? That's just... weird. Sneak. I also like Taco Amigo. Last booth on the right when you walk in the doors. Preferably with an Oreo shake.

Iain said...

I'm shocked that you are a sneak!
You wouldn't catch me doing sneaky stuff. (Not saying I don't do it, just that you wouldn't catch me).
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for remembering that some of us had to the non face stuffing stuff.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I love Coke, but it makes me pee a lot...

/TMI

Unknown said...

BAHAHAHAHA! This was awesome! You have to do what's best for you and sometimes sneaky is what has to happen! I don't eat enough during my writing binges, candy is what carries me which leaves me with bad tummy aches when I come back to reality. Maybe my husband needs to start being sneaky!

YA Tournament of Heroines: Hermione is my Heroine... Care to join?

Emily R. King said...

Sneaking Coca Cola into the library is totally allowed. I mean, come on, it's Coca Cola! My parents are addicted to Coke Zero, but when I drank soda, it was always Diet Coke. Yum.

Melissa Pearl said...

Love this blog! So glad I found it :)

I forget to eat and drink when I'm writing so sneaking required.

Favourite place to write - my room upstairs - it's light, airy and I'm facing a wall covered with photos of people I love.

i'm erin. said...

Yay Melissa Pearl. I'm super happy you're here.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You rebel!
I do my best work at my desk. With my music jamming. And the TV on. (Sometimes muted, sometimes not.) I know, sounds distracting, doesn't it?

Nikki said...

I write after all the children have gone to sleep. And then in the morning I think, "Oh crap. What have I posted?!"

and sneaking... well, I'm a movie treat smuggler too.

Jay Noel said...

You're a beverage sneaker?! How dare thee. Many of those librarians are ninjas. So silent, so deadly. Beware.

prerna pickett said...

thanks for responding to my post! My book is a ya paranormal romance. It's long, currently sitting at 119,000 words. I don't expect critiques back until end of January because of the holiday season and all. E-mail me at prernapickett at yahoo.com if you're interested.

Alleged Author said...

I write best in the living room with Christmas music on. Funny, huh? Did you get your books yet?

i'm erin. said...

Jay, you have no idea how much I love ninjas! You just made me pee a little.

Andrea Mack said...

Usually I like to have quiet. My writing spot isn't too exciting - it's just a room in my house. But one sneaky thing I like to do is eavesdrop on conversations of people I don't know -- sometimes I've gotten great story ideas that way!

Stacy Henrie said...

I like writing at my desk when the house is quiet in the afternoon. I promise not to tell about the coke. :)

Jay Noel said...

Erin,

Your telling me that you peed in your pants a little just made ME pee in my pants a little.

Just a drop.

Patti said...

I write best when the kids aren't home. I may have to try the library, although I might get distracted by all the people watching.

Katie Dodge said...

I always sneak water into the movie. No way am I paying $5 for a bottle of water. And maybe I'll pack in a few treats too. Mama takes her big purse to the movies. ;)

Julianne Donaldson said...

I'm so impressed by your 11K in one day! That is unbelievable. I need to get some of your library magic to rub off on me.

Katie Evans said...

Erin, first of all i love you and your blog makes me laugh everytime i read it! I'm a movie snack sneak unless i go to the watergardens where it's cheap!When i blog i have to have candy, mountain dew and great music playing! :)

Carterista said...

Your blog fans are almost as funny as your posts. Haha. Love it!

Anonymous said...

As usual, so fascinating as well as helpful information on Blogger: erin summerill THE SUMMERILL SURF .

Excellent!!

My web page :: QROPS