Friday, March 04, 2011

the book list.

Fact 1. I read a lot.

Fact 2. More often than not, I'm quite opinionated on what I read. However, that being said, I've found that my opinion on books, plots, characters, themes, yada, yada, yada, sometimes, more than other times, differs from what my family and friends think.

So what does that mean?
I like to think it means I know what's right and best, and they know jack squat. But seeing as that may or may not be seen as an abrasive judgement, I've settled on the idea that people all like books for different reasons. (Yep, that's the epiphany, folks. I know, I know, deep thoughts.)

Fact 3. Even though we may not agree on all books, there is a book list (of the best books) that all people should read.

(I see you might take argument with the fact that I named fact 3 a "fact". But, I direct you to the title of this blog, and remind you that it's my blog, so therefore, I have the power of creating "facts." Sorry. That's just the rules. I don't make them...most of the time.)

So what's the point?
The point is I, miss-read-a-lot, have created the book list. Books, that everybody should read, but particularly people who love YA lit. Cool people, like me. Just saying. These are books that have excellent character voice, or amazing plot lines, tension, conflict, a protagonist that speaks to my heart, and so on. Frankly, I love these books, and you should too.

My Top Ten

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry

(One of my first, and all time favorite, dystopic novels.)

2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
(A must read for all high school boys, and girls who think their lives are controlled. Ha, read this and think again.
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
(My all time favorite romance. Sigh.)

4. Unwind by Neal Shusterman
(Probably my second favorite dystopic novels. Eerie, and thought-provoking.)

5. Just One Wish by Janette Rallision
(One of my favorite authors. Hilarious, witty, and heart-wrenching at the same time. If you love that book, then also read My Fair Godmother, another amazing book by Janette Rallison.)

6. The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia
(So I cheated on this one and listed three books. When I first fell in love with this series, I read the thrid book first. To be fair, it's my favorite. However, you can't just read the third. I suggest when you sit down to read these books you read the first, second and third all together as if reading a giant book. It's so worth it.)

7. Graceling by Kristen Cashore

8. Birthmarked by Caragh Obrien
(It takes a lot for me to give a book five stars on Goodreads. But I gave this book the full five stars. Sidenote: if you're not on Goodreads, than you should join now.)

9. The Hunger Games (Trilogy) by Suzanne Collins
(I'm not saying that I love the third book, but you can't just read one in three, can you?)

10. Mistborn (Trilogy) by Brandon Sanderson
(I never thought I liked epic fantasy, that is, until I read the Mistborn Trilogy.)

Bonus: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Series) by Ally Carter
(The series, similar to Harry Potter, starts with a light hearted learning premise, and around book four the stakes get higher and the mood darker. I absolutely love this series.)

There you have it, my ten, plus a few, favorites. There were at least a couple dozen more I could've added to this list, but I figured you have to start somewhere. No go, read, and let me know how much you love these books too.

7 SPLURTS:

Robyn said...

I love Ender's Game, it is a great book. I'll have to check out some of the others that I haven't read yet.

Kristine said...

I love your list. Mistborn is #1 on mine. A few of those I haven't read - I'll have to run it by Peggy to see if they make the list. ;) lol

Krystal said...

Love your list--I'm reading Queen of Attolia now, the rest that I haven't read I'm adding to my Goodreads list.

Shari said...

I've read five of them. I guess I'd better get busy and read the rest! So glad you posted the books you love. It makes me feel like I can add them to my to-read list without worrying there's an ulterior motive behind it.

Sara B. Larson said...

Great books! I've read most of them. I was surprised to see Birthmarked on your list, I liked it a lot, but wow, it's in your top 10? Is there going to be a sequel? I haven't heard of one...

Nikki said...

There are very few novels that interest me enough to put at the top of my list. I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe it's because I read novels and boatloads of fiction books to my children all the time so that I prefer for my free reading to be how-to books and biographies and things of that nature.

With that being said, your list looks good. I've heard great things about several of those books.

After my post on my current top-reads and my friend Susan's comment, it's got me thinking about if I ever choose fiction for myself. I do. And they have been SO good that I fear I won't find that caliber of great fiction again. So I don't "waste" my time trying out other authors. Or I save "experimenting" with novels for long drives between Utah and California.

So, if you want me to read something of the like, you'll have to invite me over.

Finn and Tracey Family said...

i love your list and have read all but 4 of your really 11 top ten. will definitely read the rest!