Friday, February 04, 2011

question of the day.

WORK
That's right, I said it, dirty word and all. And lately I've been thinking about it a lot.
It's pretty obvious that I work from home (most of the time).
It's a nice set-up that lends time for me to take my kiddos to the library in the winter and the pool in the summer, but I also find that I spend countless hours past their bedtime editing, and editing, and editing.

So I ask you: DO YOU WORK?

If yes, why? Financial reasons? Personal satisfaction? Boredom?

And if no, my QUESTION OF THE DAY IS:
How much money would make it worth your time to not be a stay at home mom?
(Say some awesome company is hiring in a field that you have particular expertise, but they want a committed 40 hours a week. At what negotiation price would you say YES?)

I guess what I'm really asking is what's your price?

just wondering.
luv, erin

9 SPLURTS:

Beckstrom7 said...

I am a stay at home mom.... Sort of... I run a day care out of my home atleast for the next month. After that who knows. I will be going into business with my sister but its all done from home. I am hoping to be done with watching kids other then my own. I dont know if any amount of money could make me want to go to work again. I like being a stay at home mom. I like being able to see my kids when they come home. I also like the freedom to get things done while there in school so on weekends and nights its family time not errand time.

Kahilau said...

Honestly, I have seen what happens to my kids (the neglect) and to myself (my sanity) when I work, babysitting other kids, editing, etc. There is no price that is worth it to me. I know that is not the answer for everyone but it is for me. I really feel like you can not do it all, well at least. You can kill yourself to get everything done, sort of, but when I look back at times in my life when I have done that I don't feel it was worth the extra money I brought in. You are so incredibly talented so this might not be the same for you but that is me.

Peggy said...

At 40 hours a week? I'd have to say the pay would have to be A WHOLE FREAKING LOT, and it'd have to have a time limit. Family sanity means a lot to me.

Nikki said...

That's too hard a question for me. Do you have another question I can try?

Shari said...

There is no amount of money that would be worth leaving my home and kidlets.

Sara Hurd said...

It would be really difficult to go back to work for someone full time. I think if I had to, I'd just ramp up my home business and continue to be my own boss, just get more help so I have more time to work. The money's better and I could make more doing fewer hours.

lovin' my 6 said...

These little ones are born and grown up soooooooooooo fast that I just want to savor each day I can with them. Raising kids is the hardest job ever--but it is the greatest joy I know. Working outside of the home is just not an option if I have a husband to provide for our needs. Thank goodness I do. I shall go and count my blessings.

Julianne Donaldson said...

I think my husband would have to be dead as a doornail with no life insurance and no option of begging from my family and no opportunity for making money from home in order for me to take a full-time job. Seriously, nothing sounds worse than that to me. These kids are just too important and their childhood is too fleeting to give it up. Plus, my mom worked when I was a kid and I hated it. But I know a lot of people who feel very differently--who love to work outside of the home and would jump at the opportunity. It's a personal decision, for sure.

Haley Hale said...

I work from home- for my dad- in the family business. Luckily it is a job that doesn't require me to answer the phone every time it rings, and I can do much of the work at night, after the kids are in bed. I love the family business and I am so glad that I can be a part of it. HOWEVER, sometimes the stress of being a mommy on top of the stress of the phone ringing and messages being left on the answering machine is almost too much. Sometimes it would be nice to just be a mom. But sometimes, just being a mom can get to me!