Saturday, October 18, 2008

Still here...

Yes, I am still here. No baby. Just a fat belly. And today a female driver flipped me off.
Explanation:
I was driving out of the Walmart parking lot. I was driving up my lane and slightly accelerating from the 2 mph roll to about 15 mph. As I was accelerating towards the exit, I noticed a woman cutting across the painted lanes of parking at the Walmart (yes, I know we all do it). She crossed over 2 parking lanes and was heading in my direction, since I was in the correct lane to exit. I realized that she didn't see me as she came within 5-10 feet of hitting me, so I slammed on my breaks. I also honked...(I do not believe that honking is rude if it is to indicate to another driver that they might hit you). She turned, looked at me and sped up faster and pulled in front of me.
I just continued driving behind her and carried on my conversation with Mark, who sat in the passenger seat. Following the female driver, we both exited the Walmart and pulled onto the main road. At the nearest stop light I pulled into the left turn lane and she continued straight. As we waited for the light to turn green, she continued to throw death glares in my direction. I asked Mark why she would be so bugged since she was the reckless driver breaking the law in the parking lot? He figured it was because I honked at her. The light turned green and as she sped away, she flipped me the BIRD! Now come on?!? If anyone is flipping anyone the bird, shouldn't it be me? Since she did almost hit me as she illegally crossed over the parking lot lanes?

Ask the Audience: Do you think I should have honked to indicate to her she was about to hit me? and if not, what would you have done? and thirdly, why do you think she flipped me the bird?

12 SPLURTS:

Peggy Eddleman said...

Yes on the horn honking.

I think she was flipping the bird because she could tell by looking at you that you are ready to have that baby NOW, and she figured that if she made you mad enough, it might just send you into labor. It was her way of thanking you for keeping her from getting in a wreck. Yep, I'm sure that's the explanation. Cuz what else could it be?

tina said...

if someone is about to hit me, i am surely going to let them know about it.

why the bird? selfish. she was the only important person in the entire universe and heaven forbid you or anyone else get in her way.

Karina B. said...

YES! Kudos to you for honking. So many people around here drive dangerously and need to be honked at when they're doing something stupid to help them realize it. Jesse is ALWAYS honking at people. I can't even count the times he's come home from work or school complaining about drivers that have almost hit him.

Karina B. said...

About "the bird". She hopefully felt like an idiot, but was too prideful to show it to you, so she decided to be childish instead!

Karina B. said...

P.S.
Hope you have little Summerillina soon so we can come see her!!!

Robyn said...

Actually I flipped you off just for fun! It just seemed like the right thing to do since you won't return my phone calls. :-P Just chalk it up to mean people suck. Who cares anyway--you are happily married with (almost) 4 adorable children. She is probably a bitter selfish hag who was simply jealous of the cool wheels. (I think that minivans really bring out the worst in other drivers...not everyone can drive around in such luxury!) Let's just hope she doesn't turn out to be your labor and delivery nurse!

A. said...

Well...there are times I've wanted to honk, but it just didn't cross my mind fast enough. lol So I never do. Tim on the otherhand, seems to drive with his thumb on the horn for all those "just in case moments as these. I'm all for honking when people need to be alerted (and she obviously did!). That's what it's there for.

As for the bird.... She probably didn't recognize her own recklessness and just thought you were rude. WHo knows... to me those things are just immature and from people who haven't learned correct communication.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

You were right on in honking - why else do we have horns on our cars?

She must have just been jealous of you, that or really selfish & thinking that the world revolves around her & that everything would have been your fault had an accident happened - ok, or both. Gotta love some people.

Carterista said...

Personally, I am huge fan of honking. In PR we honk to let people know we are moving into their lane on the freeway and lots of other "watch out, I'm here" situations. No one gets offended. It's rather helpful unless you are one of those nervous people who jump at every peep.

I try to use my horn whenever possible since it's such a great sounding horn and what does it hurt anyway, unless you are one of those nervous people who jump at every peep.

Like someone else said, what else are horns for? Even kids like to honk horns for fun, so why can't I? It shouldn't bother people so much. Unless, of course, they are one of those nervous people who jump at every peep.

Maybe your nemesis is one of those nervous people who...

Just SO said...

I totally honk at people. And my horn ROCKS for that. If we ever get a different vehicle that works I'm keeping my horn because it's a killer, give a person a heart attack horn. Especially when you lay on it.

I've almost been hit by people cutting through those lanes at the store and they always act like it's my fault. She flipped you off because she thought she was in the right and you were in the wrong. Don't give her a second thought.

Shari said...

I would have honked too, I wouldn't want to risk being slammed into. You know in Peru they use the middle finger to point at things so maybe she is from Peru and was just pointing at your cute husband.
Hey post a picture of your baby body before that little girl comes out. I never get to see the full and fun roundness of pregnancy on you.
Love,
Shari

Honey and Hotstuff said...

Some peoples children! Yes to the honking. I think sometimes that I should honk and just let them hit me just to teach them a lesson. But then you have to look at the bad side of it all... medical bills, insurance stuff, some hurt badly... blah blah blah. As for the one finger salute, she probably didn't have time to tell you "God bless you". Cause that is what I yell.