Monday, March 17, 2008

a great dad story...

Today Mark and I woke up late, very late. Like a perfect domino effect, waking up late led to George being rushed out the door by Mark who then had to drive George to school in a race against the tardy bell. When Mark returned, he came right up to me and said, "Do you want to know how much I love our boys?"
Intrigued, I said, "Yes, tell me."
He shook his head as if not to say anything and slowly unzipped his coat (brrr it was cold today). My facial expression must have turned to utter confusion, because I was utterly confused. Mark had NO SHIRT ON! I clearly remember him leaving the home with his shirt on, but oddly, there he stood with no shirt on underneath his unzipped coat.
"Where is your shirt?" I demanded. Matter-O-Factly he responded, "Today is St. Patrick's day and George was not wearing GREEN!"
"What?!? So you gave him your grown man's size shirt to wear on his 6 year old little body."
"Yes I did." He said resolutely, "I couldn't let him get pinched!"

Mark, now that I have gotten over the official shock and weirdness, I commend you and award you the Father of St. Patrick's Day Award. You love your kids so much, you would give them the shirt off your back.

12 SPLURTS:

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

I give this story a solid "four-leaf-clover". Mark you are the man!!! I heard that a streaker was cited near an elementary school in Pleasant Grove but didn't realize it was you.

I trust your boy wasn't pinched all day.

-Jason

Marcie said...

That was a very cute story and something I can totally see Mark doing.

Rach said...

That is so sweet, I'm all teary eyed (maybe because I'm prego and emotional) but that is just the sweetest thing!! Way to go Mark.

Kristen said...

That is awesome. Go Mark!

Just SO said...

What a dad! Kudo's Mark. And I bet you that's something that George will totally remember when he grows up.

Nikki said...

How sweet! I don't know that I would've thought of that. I probably would've looked for a scrap of something green in the car and pinned it to him.

kellieanne said...

That was great! Either Mark is more spontaneous than I gave him credit for, or you are rubbing off on him. Love it!

I am a mother! said...

Loved that story! You should send it in to the Ensign. Next thing you know they'll be using it in General Conference. ;)

Kahilau said...

what a great story. Thanks for sharing. What did George think of that???? Hilarious

A. said...

Awww - that is so awesome. What a great dad! Not so much for the "shirt off his back" kindness, but because he thought about all those rotten kids who ACTUALLY pinch on St. Patricks Day. HahaHAhah!

(Well, and of course for the shirt off his back. Thankfully George is not at an age that wearing daddy's big shirt would be embarassing, but most likely very cool to have.)

Unknown said...

Awe, that is so awesome.

JoMamma said...

Mark you are an amazing dad!