Monday, October 08, 2012

epiphany at Starbucks

I'm sitting at the Huntington Beach Starbucks with Jessie Humphries. Laptops are spread across the table as she drinks some freaky steamed vanilla soy concoction that tastes like pureed sugar cookies--and she thinks I'm the one with the sugar addiction. Please. I'm sipping a mango with extra fiber juice. You can never have too much fiber in your life.


We're writing. Finally.

Every year the wedding season hits big in the summer for me. I'm quite wimpy and I detest shooting in the cold. Ninety percent of my clients are taken between April and October. And now that the season has slowed down, I've finally pulled out my dusty laptop Lola for a spin around the block.

And I'm so so so incredibly happy because my friends are AWESOME (see Jessie's blog today). But I'm also pissed as hell. (Can I say that online? Please don't tell my mom I swore or I'm sooooo grounded.)

Anyway, I'm furious with myself. Or I have been. I've been a bit of a whiner about having no time to write and no time to blog. And my sweet writing buds have been so patient with all my whining.

And then today I sort of woke up.

I realized, why whine when I can write? (Insert light bulb here. This is the EPIPHANY.)

Right?

There's no point in being angry with myself for missing goals that I tossed by the wayside. So, inspired by so many amazing friends and their amazing books and their amazing agents . . . and because I don't really want to end up like homeless guy at the Starbucks no matter how sweet he is, I'm back in the game.

WHINE LESS, WRITE MORE.

I know I left ya'll high and dry for a good six months, but if you're out there, oh sweet mother if anyone is out there, please drop a line and say hi. Or anything. Heck, I'll even take the freaky spam comments. 

If you feel inclined to stop back by, I'll be posting three times a week with inspired thoughts or just ridiculous crap. 

37 SPLURTS:

David P. King said...

Welcome back! I've been whining lately, too. We should totally have a whine party now and then, with cheese and crackers, you know, just to keep a healthy balance. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Write woman, write!
Maybe less whine, more wine? Unless that makes writing worse.

Sara B. Larson said...

YAY!! Write, write, write! Are you guys on a writing trip together? How fun!

Shallee said...

Yay, welcome back!! I've missed you. Glad you had your epiphany, and welcome back. Love your new phrase-- Whine less, write more. I've got to remember that too. ;)

Amber said...

Welcome back Erin! Of course I follow your photo blog, so it never really felt like you were gone!

tammy said...

Cool page! Nice website! Awesome article! Free iPad! Check this site out! Your product really interests me! I’m very happy to read this. This is the type of man­ual that needs to be given and not the ran­dom mis­in­for­ma­tion that’s at the other blogs. Appre­ci­ate your shar­ing this great­est doc! Deal on UGG Boots!!!!!!


Oh, hey Erin! Rather nice to have you back on the blog scene. I agree. No regrets. Today begins the first day of the rest of your life! ( was that last line spam? or just cheese......?)

Ruth Josse said...

Erin, it's about time. ;)

Just SO said...

I'm always here. Good luck with the writing!

Kevin and Robin said...

Yay! I enjoy your blog!!

Kevin and Robin said...

Yay! I enjoy your blog!!

Julianne Donaldson said...

I'm so glad you're back, Erin! You are such a hard worker, you can make anything happen for you. So just apply your hard work and winning personality to a book, and you'll be in the publishing world before you can say cheese and crackers.

ilima said...

I'm still here and I'm glad you're back. Go, Erin! And I can't believe you got a picture with the homeless guy. Haha. I plan on reading whatever ridiculous crap you plan to throw at us. <3

Jaime Morrow said...

Yay! So glad you're back. :) I've been looking forward to reading your posts again. And you haven't really been gone because your photography keeps popping up here and there, and it's fantastic! :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Yay! You're back! I'm so happy! And seriously-- was that homeless guy just there, or did you go find someone to pose for the pic? Because that's PERFECT!

Me, you, library.

prerna pickett said...

welcome back! Glad you survived wedding season. Good luck with all the writing.

Carrie Butler said...

Welcome back, Erin! :D

BECKY said...

Erin, I LOVE this! I've had one or two writing epiphanies in my life, and they really are wonderful! Good for you! Remember, though, that even if you don't write as often as you'd like, don't beat yourself up. You're human. Take time to rest and breathe!
Welcome back to blogging!

Katie Dodge said...

Happy you're back! I just might join you since I've been a blogging slacker for the entire summer as well. Please tell me I get to see you in a few weeks!!!

Jessie Humphries said...

I wrote a super witty comment earlier and it's not here! Stupid blogger. All I can say is Saturday at the beach was awesome and Monday at the DMV is not! But reminiscing about that homeless guy is keeping me going! So perfection!

Angie said...

Whine less, write more! It's now my new motto. Thanks, Erin!

Delia said...

Whine less, write more. I'm totally putting that on a t-shirt. Nice to see you back. :)

Jeigh said...

Errrrrin! *reaches through computer* *pets you*

Kathryn Purdie said...

Erin, you're amazing! I'm glad you have some time to write again. I LOVED what I read of yours at Storymakers. And I mean LOVED. You can do this!!!

Elana Johnson said...

Man, I wish I was at Huntington Beach with you! Sounds like so much fun! Hope you get tons of writing done!!!

Angela Brown said...

Here's my splurt. BAM!

Okay. Yeah, I'll be back by for sure. I've been extra busy with promoting Neverlove but I'm trying to get back in the game of visiting blogs on a bit better schedule. But boy did the last couple of weeks present a challenge. I can kind of understand your whine, but I also get your epiphany as well :-)

Donna Nolan said...

Yay! Welcome back. I am so going to tell your mom that you swore. Although I had to read that sentence three times to figure out where you swore. :)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Oh honey, we could never leave you dry. ;)

Unknown said...

Erin darling! You're actually alive? Please do keep writing. I feel badly stalking your blog for no apparent reason other than I am intensely interested in what you do, or do not do. :)

Caryn Caldwell said...

Wonderful! Congratulations on getting back into your writing. I hope you're able to get in a groove soon. As for shooting (or, really, doing anything) in the cold, I totally understand your reluctance. Sounds like you've got two seasonal jobs - photography during the warm months, and writing during the cold months. Maybe that's just how things will go. :-)

i'm erin. said...

Caryn, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It made me so very happy!

Amber!!! I just peed myself when I saw you dropped by.

Donna, you crack me up. Anything is a swear word to my mom.

Wow everyone, thanks for the big welcome back. I really, well, I needed that.

Botanist said...

I guess the moral is: if you have time to whine, you have time to write! Good advice, and welcome back.

Jessica G. said...

Hey, there's always National Novel Writing Month!

Iain said...

I remember you. It's erm.. hang on, it'll come to me in a sec... erm... Erica? Close enough I hope.

You have been sorely missed Erin. I'm glad you're back to brighten our day :o)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Starbucks are pretty new to Australia, but I've seen one in the city in Brisbane (they're starting to pop up everywhere now) and I can't wait to go there and write on my laptop, it's like a right of passage. I don't drink coffee so I might try that mango thingy :)

sleigh said...

more info here best replica bags online here view website official statement advice

methyn said...

try this site Louis Vuitton Dolabuy look at this web-site Ysl replica bags browse around this site replica gucci handbags

Unknown said...

i4u89s0a66 k2k47m6e50 i4k12f1g67 l8u61w4a78 u4u25q5n16 q4m61p1r04