Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Writing Inspiration - I LOVE James A. Owen

First off, Happy Valentine's Day. May it be filled with chocolate and love.

Today I'm in a LOVEY mood so I'm going to lay on you something that inspired me.
This last weekend I attended LTUE, a symposium for writers, held at Utah Valley University. The keynote speaker was James A. Owen, an American comic book writer, illustrator, and author.  He was brilliant and I absolutely LOVED all that he shared. He spoke about his struggles in life and career, sharing stories that put my small trials to shameful silence. I sat in awe as this man spoke. He was insightful and truly inspiring.

I've found that writing can be a war, complete with battles that leave me feeling tattered and deficient. But hearing James speak about the process of achieving goals made me remember that anything is possible and anything can be attainable.

I walked away from James's lecture with a little more armor to wear during those writing battles. Here's my two favorite pieces of inspiration armor:

  1. "If you really, really want to do something, no one can stop you. If you really don’t want to do something then no one can help you.
  2. "Never sacrifice what you want the most for what you want the most at that moment." 
Thanks James for the word up! You've inspired me to keep on writing. 


Have you had ups and downs on your road to success? 
How do you fight those battles?

22 SPLURTS:

Katie Dodge said...

Wasn't that the best keynote you've ever heard? I loved it!

Ruth Josse said...

One of the highlights of the conference! He totally wowed me.

BECKY said...

Oh, I love the two quotes you included! I was just thinking, I could use a great conference right now, with kick "a" speakers, but then I realized I DO go to...sometimes one, and many times TWO critique groups a week! And they are GREAT ones...but do I come home and write...anything at all? Many times, NOT! I also just read your previous post about the Winter Blues, and I do "suffer" from that, too. I think I'm border-line S.A.D. (how great is that acronym?!) Wishing you wonderful writing, and sunny skies...and warmer weather!! Hugs and Happy Valentine's Day, too.

Emily R. King said...

Awesome advice, Erin. Thank you for sharing. I needed a pep talk today!

Anonymous said...

I was in a different class, or maybe it was on friday then I missed it because I wasn't there. But everything in life has ups and downs, and to me writing is hard sometimes, but anything hard is worth doing!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I LOVED his keynote! Probably the best keynote speaker I've heard EVER. He was incredible. I tried to share the story with my kids, but there was just SO MUCH to it, I'm sure a lot was lost. I wish they could've heard it!

Jessica G. said...

I battle my ups and downs with chocolate. And by reminding myself that even the great writers got rejection letters.

Jennie Bennett said...

I really liked that second quote! I missed his address, but I did get to meet him on Saturday ;)

Patti said...

Those are two great quotes. I really like the second one. Too often we don't see far enough into the future and sacrifice long term gratification for immediate gratification.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wasn't he awesome? He seriously gives new and pointed meaning to perseverance.

JoMamma said...

I eat & drink. Not a great way to cope. I also use eating and drinking when things go well. I might have a problem. Just to clarify my drinking is Pepsi.

James C Duckett said...

You are right, it was such a great keynote.

Thanks for following and commenting on my blog!

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I LOVED his keynote address. So inspiring, and so entertaining! I was enraptured the whole time. I want him on a keychain.

Every now and then I get down because I wonder how much longer it will take to be good enough--it happens more frequently the more books I finish. Sanderson had written 13 by the time he sold his first book. I'm only on number 5!

But other than that, I don't have too much of a problem. If I keep with it, it will happen someday. ;)

David P. King said...

His address what downright awesome. I was lucky to have dinner with him and a group of others after the first night. I'll have to tell you how that went when we CP next (or did I already - can;t remember). :)

Have a most excellent rest of the day!

Janet Johnson said...

Oh so many ups and downs. I love that first quote. SO true!

Kate said...

I'm so excited to have found your awesome blog. Do you live in Utah too? I'm in Salt Lake.

Brenda Sills said...

What a phenomenal man, James Owen is! How inspiring and talented. I loved how he made me feel like I can do anything and I loved seeing what a good person he is.

And you're so fantastic to share this with us!

I loved chatting with you at LTUE! You are amazing, you know that?! What an incredible, fun, friendly, positive, contagious personality you have! You're so wonderful to be around!

And a humongous thanks for your kind words about my hair! You're a gem—I've been worrying that I look weird! :)

Leigh Covington said...

I completely agree! James was amazing! So inspiring and motivational. I came hold and told the hub all about his talk. And those quotes are perfect. I think we all need to remember those. His road to publication and awesomeness wasn't easy. So we can't expect ours to be. BUT... we can totally do it!

Sophia Chang said...

Yes, so true!

Leigh Covington said...

Hey girlie, girlie - bright and swirly! :) Tagged you in a post today! :) Play along if you want!

Iain said...

It’s not fair. You get all the good things going on where you are. Sounds like it was very inspirational

heidi2524 said...

Thanks for posting about James' presentation! His keynote address from LTUE is available over at soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/jess-smart-smiley-1/james-a-owen-keynote-address

He's also giving away free copies of the ebook version of Drawing Out The Dragons, which has a lot of the stories he told in the keynote, for the next 24 hours - http://coppervaleinternational.com/make-today-extraordinary/