Monday, February 20, 2012

Secret 22 of 100

I'm the cat lady.

Well, I'm not actually the cat lady.
 (I'm not talking about the woman that had all that plastic surgery to look like a cat. I'm talking about the crazy lady that lives in your town and rescues a thousand flea-infested cats a year). 

My secret is I have a tendency to be an animal-rescue, cat-hording operation type of gal. I like to blame it on my bleeding heart, which to be honest, doesn't really bleed that much because I could give a rat's butt cheek about reptiles, amphibians, fish, talking birds, and bad drivers. But, I do have a soft spot in my heart for dogs and cats and other nice furry animals. When I was younger I wanted to be a Zoo Keeper because then I could have as many animals as I wanted. (That dream lasted until the day I saw an elephant poop. Do I still want to be a Zoo Keeper? Nah, not so much.)


Confession: Every time I drive past the animal shelter, I have an internal battle on whether I should stop or not.
If I could, I would alway stop. But then for sure I would be the cat lady with 1001 cats. That didn't work out so well for the last lady in my town that went that route, so I temper my desire to help out the less fortunate fur-friends and I've settle furbsession with my two dogs and one cat.

Are you an animal lover too?

20 SPLURTS:

Kate said...

I can completely relate. We'd own a small farm if my husband would only relent. As it is we have: three dogs, a bunny, two chickens, and two hedgehogs.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I love animals. My hubby? Not so much. I swear I'll talk him in to getting a dog someday though. My kids LOVE them. :)

Cristina said...

I LOVE animals, but I don't want any living with me. We've always had pets growing up and I used to think that I would have them as a grown up.

I'm a grown up now, and two kids are enough for me. Maybe when I'm older and suffering from empty nest syndrome. Maybe.

Emily R. King said...

I can't even look at animal websites without picking out four cats and dogs I want to bring home. My husband has blocked them from me. : )

i'm erin. said...

Kate! Hedgehogs? For real? We must meet in person.

Angela Brown said...

I admit that I'm not the world's greatest pet lover *ducking to avoid thrown things* but I think those furry little buggers are just so cute. And when the cat purrs, well, how can your heart not melt?

Anonymous said...

How could you not be a dog lover--you inherited that from your mom. Cats, on the other hand, a different story. Have you not yet noticed dogs have PERSONALITIES and cats have ATTITUDES! You're allowed to come and pet my dog anytime you like.

Leigh Covington said...

Erin - you're so awesome. You have such a fabulous way of putting things. I can't get enough. I am a total animal lover! Especially the furry ones (like you). I always wanted to be a veterinarian, but now I'm glad I don't have to stick thermometers up animal butts. *sigh*

And I have the same issue with animal shelters. Luckily we have a few extra animals on the farm, so that makes it fun. :)

Iain said...

I’m a cat lover. Probably because they are independent, sneaky, cruel, and as loyal as a… well, a cat! (only keep turning up if there’s food, and there’s not a better offer somewhere else.)

But when they are around, they’re great company :o)

Peggy Eddleman said...

You're so funny! I loved when I asked about your new dog (the big white one... Rosie?), and you said that you really didn't mean to get a new dog at all, but she was abandoned, so you HAD to take her home and love her. I asked where you found her, you said at the animal shelter. Hehe! Hard to say you didn't mean to when you went looking! :) You totally rock.

Maggie said...

Okay, your post scared me a bit. I was really hoping you didn't admit to having 30 cats or something like that! I actually don't like cats at all (sorry ;), but I love dogs. And your picture is adorable.

Leslie said...

Mom has been dog brain washed! Cats are the softest, cutest animals ever! And your hands don't smell after petting cats like they do with lots of dogs. But if you come move and live near us, uou could get a few sheep, chickens, a coyote or two, some feral cats and so much more!

JoMamma said...

I love kittens and puppies. Dogs are alright as long as they don't stink. My dog really could use a bath, but I need to wait for the weather to warm up. My sisters cat that slept on my head purring all through the night turned me off to full grown cats. So needy and clingy.

JoMamma said...

I love kittens and puppies. Dogs are alright as long as they don't stink. My dog really could use a bath, but I need to wait for the weather to warm up. My sisters cat that slept on my head purring all through the night turned me off to full grown cats. So needy and clingy.

Julianne Donaldson said...

Yes, I love animals! I wanted to be a vet when I was younger, but I grew out of that when I took zoology and had to dissect a cat.

Alexis Bass said...

I would so be an animal rescue if my apartment would allow it! :)

David P. King said...

Wait a second ... I've been to your place and I didn't see any cats. Are you hoarding them as well? ;)

That's awesome. We housesat a cat for almost 6 weeks and it was kinda tough. Never had to take care of an animal bigger than a goldfish before. Doesn't help when it hisses at you.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I LOVE dogs. We would have one by now if someone were home during the day! Made sure to get a pet-friendly apartment just in case...

We almost adopted a daschund, but he got a better owner in the end. I loved that dog...

Chelsea said...

I'm the same way! I can't even go into a pet store without tearing up! I'm such a wuss!

Katie Dodge said...

I love animals too. We actually just had to have some our 10 yr old kitty's teeth pulled and it cost a nice little penny. My friends think we're crazy to spend money on a cat, but I would never be able to put him down if he can live a long healthy life! Ok, thanks for listening to my little rant. Anyway, totally identify with you, cat lady. :)