Thursday, October 13, 2011

reading update - people from England time travel?

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

My Take:
Honestly speaking, I was more hooked by the cover of the book than by the first chapter. It took me at least two before I warmed up to the main character. I've found that a lot of YA writers write mature characters, at least to some extent. But Gwyneth is 17 and she actually acts that age. Once I got used to her quirky self doubt, yet strong determination, I was down with her. And by the end of the novel she kind of rocked my socks off. I loved her. I love that this book takes place in England. And I REALLY love Gideon, her potential love interest and time traveling partner.
The thing I didn't love is the end. Why? It ended and the story wasn't done. As in, there's a hook.
But, (there's always a but) the costumes in the book are fab. There's danger, mystery, and serious romantic tension.


What They Say It's About:

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

You Shouldn't Read This If:
You can't stand books that end with a hook. But if that's the case, pick it up when the next installment comes out.
You have no fashion sense and you're a country-ist. (England + to die for outfits = awesomeness . . . unless that's not your thing.)
You're illiterate. For obvious reasons.

Go Forth And Read!

14 SPLURTS:

Kristine said...

Wow! That is an amazing cover. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to ask Peggy if I can read it. ;)

Jessie Humphries said...

I no read good.

Precy Larkins said...

LOL on Jessie's comment! ;)

Lovely cover. I'm a sucker for beautiful covers 'cause I'm a visual person. I actually like endings with a hook, even if it makes me feel like I have an itch that I can't scratch. Ohhh..yah, not good. But maybe I'm crazy that way. :DDD

Emily R. King said...

Your the second person to refer this book to me. It's going on my Christmas list! Thanks for the great review, and convincing me I need to read this book.

Leigh Ann said...

I'm actually terrified of reading this book while I'm querying MY time travel novel. BUT! I'll read it once that one moves (either to an agent or into a drawer), and hopefully the sequel will be out by then. :D

Iain said...

Finding someone to trust? Try finding someone in London who'll stop and pass the time of day with you. lol

Peggy Eddleman said...

Was it the cover, or THE TITLE that got you? :) Seriously, though, it sounds like an awesome book!

Abby Fowers said...

Oooh! Sounds fabulous! Thanks for the review.

i'm erin. said...

Iain, is London really that bad? You're ruining my fantasies.

DEZMOND said...

yep, quite a nice cover, and a catchy title!

Iain said...

No, it's no different than any other bustling metropolis. If you're ever over here, I'll give you a guided tour of the good bits :o)
(Love the new pic. Although, I do wonder what you are doing squatting in the grass :os )

i'm erin. said...

Iain, why does anyone squat in the grass? Nuff said.

SquirrelQueen said...

It took me a bit to warm up to this one too but once I did I really enjoyed it.

Raymund Hensley said...

I'm loving that book cover!