Monday, September 19, 2011

secret 6 of 100

When Mark asked me to marry him (for the second time...the first is another story all together) I said yes. Obviously. But my secret is I wasn't entirely sure I should say yes. In fact, I almost wondered if I should say no. His family and my family were gathered around and it was Christmas Eve and I couldn't help but be caught up in the romance of it all. You know I'm such a Love-nut. And I loved him more than anyone or anything.

But the next day when I woke up to stare at that shiny diamond attached to my left ring-finger, I wondered if I made the right choice. It's not that I didn't want to marry the man. I just wondered if he really was "the one". My stomach clenched that I possibly said "yes" a little to hastily. I'd answered before I'd prayed about it...before the earth quaked beneath my feet because he was, indeed, "the one."

If I was wrong, how would I turn around and tell my family that I'd made a mistake? A small greedy part of me wondered if I would have to give back the sparkly diamond? Dang it all.

That morning I rolled out of bed on to my knees and prayed. I prayed so fervently to God that he would let me know Mark was meant for me. And you know what happened? A whole lot of nothing! Days passed, and I prayed and prayed again. I would pray silently while we were together and loudly when we were apart. I loved him so much and I wanted him to be mine. But I also wanted that earth-shattering confirmation that YES he was the one.
Time passed and before I knew it, it was my wedding day. That morning as I put on my make-up and curled my hair, I said one last prayer. I told God that if Mark was the wrong one then he better stop me from going through with the wedding because I loved Mark more than life itself and I wanted him and no one else.

Well, you know what happened? In the middle of the ceremony I got my answer. Mark's gaze met mine and in that moment I could see all the times that I'd received an answer to my prayer. All the times I knew we were perfect for each other. All the times God had really answered my prayers.

He was mine and I was a happy girl...even if I didn't know he was "the one" when I said yes.


 

11 SPLURTS:

Jenny S. Morris said...

This is such an amazing story. I love how God doesn't shout, he shows! You guys are so cute!

Kristine said...

Awe! I love that photo of you two. You two make such a cute couple.

Brekke - Felt Photography said...

I totally cried. What an awesome story.

Sara said...

You are such a beautiful couple! What a lovely story. :)

Abby Fowers said...

Aw- this is funny and all sorts of emotional at the same time. I love it. You are beautiful, and you've got a very handsome "the one" husband to match. :) I'm so glad you shared this.

lovin' my 6 said...

Gabe is sittin' here with me today. Thanks for the giggles. We have had a ball just reading and laughing . . . and, YES, we want donuts now.

i'm erin. said...

Oh Awesome Stacie, I'm so glad you guys stopped by.

Zumba Emily said...

That's so so cute Erin. I love reading all your little secrets and everything else you post. I've missed you.

Katie Dodge said...

What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love that story! I think you two are absolutely perfect for each other. (And you're both unbelievably photogenic.)

Shari said...

Well at least you said yes. I made my husband wait before I gave him an answer and I still haven't heard the end of it.