Friday, July 01, 2011

some like it hot.

I love salsa. I like it hot...relatively speaking. I don't want my lips to melt off my face and my tongue to shrivel into a blackened stump from the fire in the peppers, but I don't mind a nice burn across the creases of my mouth. I love my salsa to burst with cilantro and to hold a hint of lemon or lime in each bite. I want there to be a kick and to be complimented with the perfect greasy tortilla chip. Oh, just writing this post makes my mouth water. 
In order to feed my summer salsa craving I planted a "salsa-lovers" garden. Big Boys, Early Girls, Celebrity and Roma tomato plants are surrounded by a couple tall cilantro clusters, sweet Walla Walla onions bursting from the ground, two bell pepper plants, and one serrano plant. In another month my house will become salsa central and Salsa Fest 2011 will begin. (Stay tuned for updates of this years Jam Fest 2011 that went off without a hitch. Strawberry Jam rocks!)

Anyway, the purpose of this post isn't for me to brag and brag some more about my pint sized garden that will only be good for supplying my love of salsa. Basically I want something from you. I want your recipes! I'll share mine first...and granted it's not the best or I wouldn't be asking for yours. But it's decently good. So I'm begging you, if you have a great salsa recipe please share it.

Erin's Supa' Awesome Salsa 
(Winner of Summerill Salsa Fest 2010)

8 roma tomatoes
1/2 large bell pepper
1-2 garlic cloves
1 small walla walla sweet onion
1/2 serrano pepper or jalapeno
1/2 lemon (squeezed for it's juice)
1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions: 
1. Buy yourself a food processor. It makes the salsa making process so much faster. And it's pretty cool when you get to press the "pulse" button over and over again.
2. Pulse (this is like intense chopping) the bell pepper, garlic, onion, and serrano pepper until evenly chopped.
3. Cut your roma tomatoes into quarter-sized chunks, then add to the food processor. Pulse until your salsa reaches the consistency you like.
4. Add chopped cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse a couple more times until it's all mixed and looking like a good-lookin' salsa.
5. Get out some real nice tortilla chips and dig in!

If your salsa recipe is better than mine, please share.

7 SPLURTS:

Erin Apelu said...

Erin's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies.

1 cube of butter (real butter)
1/2 c BUTTER flavor crisco (has to be butter)
3/4 c light brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 c flour
1 bag Nestle chocolate chips

Directions
With a fork, smash the butter and crisco together. After, add brown and white sugar then mix again. Follow by 2 med eggs, baking soda, and vanilla--stir. Then add 1 1/4 cup flour--stir. Pour the whole bag of chocolate chips inside--stir. Last, add the final 1 cup of flour--stir. Dough should not be sticky.

Bake on 350 for 10 minutes. Take out, bang the cookie sheet (with cookies) on the counter twice (to let the cookies fall) then put in oven for 2 more minutes.

Should be perfect. Receipe can be changed to make double chocolate chip cookies, mint chocolate chip cookies, and macadamia coconut cookies. Yum. Yum.

i'm erin. said...

Yummy! That sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Before even talking about the salsa.... Your GARDEN made my mouth water! And, quite honestly, it made me a little jealous. I might have to sneak over to your house, very ninja-like, in the deep dark of night.... ;)

And YUM on the salsa! I heart my recipe, but to be honest, it's not that different than yours. Just more jalapenos, and a red onion, and no lemon. Either way, though, YUM.

Jessie Humphries said...

I dont have any recipes to post because a) I live in Vegas and no gardens grow here:). and b) I live on OG. Hah...Erin...you jealous? But seriously, the salsa looks omagosh good.

Brekke said...

I want to eat some of this right now.

Ticklemedana said...

switch the lemon for lime juice, lots of it, red onions for white, and add some cumen spice to it and you have my famous salsa that all my friends beg me to make. You can also be super inventive and add diced watermelon, pineapple or mango and feel like you should be on the food network channel. =)

urbananon said...

Good reading youur post