Monday, January 25, 2010

Positive Affirmation: I'm good enough, smart enough, and dog-gone-it . . .



I found this picture this morning.  It's from the sweet Shaylee shoot I did a couple weeks ago.  This one was so candid.  Shaylee was sad, and her momma Jamie, was cuddling her and calming her so we could do the next 'pose'.  The funny thing is, the posed shot didn't turn out, and this one--the one I caught while Jamie was calming her down--looks absolutely perfect. 

See, this is why I love photography.  I love how it captures emotion. 

I'm not one of those photographers who takes perfect poses in perfect soft studio lighting where the subjects are all perfectly propped and prepared for the camera (holy P-alliteration Batman!).  I've never been good at that.  There are other people out there that blow me out of the water.  Sometimes, I'll get down on myself a little about this one fact.  Why can't I be more of a 'non-candid' photographer? 

Well, I guess I'm saying, today, because I found this shot of Shaylee, I've decided I'm ok with the chaotic way I have of taking pictures.  Where what I want to turn out doesn't and everything I thought wouldn't turn out...well blows my mind! 

Today, I'm ok just being me.

11 SPLURTS:

Nikki said...

Yesterday I was looking at the pictures of some finalists in one of Pioneer Woman's photography contest. And well, let's just say, they got nothing on you! Yours are WAY better. Danny is so proud of you. He always tells me how amazing your work is. And I agree.

Nikki said...

P.S. I LOVE to tell people that are soliciting passersby for photo shoots, "No thanks. My sister is a photographer." One lady that was SO pushy outside the BX almost got me to say, "Your work is okay, but my sister's is FAR better. And I get a family discount." I do, right?

i'm erin. said...

ha ha. Yeah! A 100% discount.

Sara said...

You are so talented Erin (In so many ways!) you should definitely not get down on yourself! I love your photography. Speaking of which, I need you to do one of my hair straight (in April I guess, when we meet again). Just so I can decide if I should go with curly or straight! (in the eventuality that I ever need an author picture... ha ha...)

Just SO said...

You know what's funny? Is I never would see you as someone who gets down on yourself. You are absolutely amazing lady. And not just at photography at many, many other things as well.

Shari said...

I love your photos, Erin. Don't go non-candid! Your candid shots are awesome. As are you.

Kayleen said...

Love your photography!!!

sanaejames photography said...

Um...stop it already. You are friggin' awesome. I love candid shots waaaaaayyyyy better anyway. You just blow my mind at how amazing you are at EVERYTHING! Geez...I swear. well, I won't swear...but you know what I mean.

Julianne said...

I love your candid shots. I think it takes so much more artistry to capture those real moments and real emotions than to set up a stage and pose people like puppets. (How's that for alliteration?) So please don't change.

tina said...

I love your photography. Everything I've ever seen is fabulous. You post the best on your blog, so we all don't always see what you see. But, the finished product that you share is always better than words can describe. Great work! It takes all kinds to make the world twirl.

missionary mama said...

oh, Erin! You are the bomb.com in all you do!