Monday, January 04, 2010

How the librarian encourages playing Wii and sparks my yearly goals

"Mom, come play with us," George urged as I slipped out of the front room and padded down the hall in my Oobies (super-cute and fashionable house slippers) and teal sweats (Yes, they're making a come back).

"No, no.  You guys go ahead and bowl without me.  I'm not so good at it."  I shrugged at George and then walked into my room and flopped on my bed.  From beneath a pillow, my novel of the day, Beautiful Creatures rested.  (Side note:  if you haven't read this one, it's a little slow moving but BEAUTIFUL and enchanting and full of bewitching-ness...dang, I love a good book).  I flipped it open and read until the end.

The next day . . .

After I taught my first aerobic class of the new year, I jumped in the car and Mark turned to me.

"Where do you wanna go?" he asked, eyes bright.  I could tell he was sick of hanging at our house for all of winter break.

"Let's go to the library."

His face fell.

"I'll find you a really good book."  He thought about this for a second and then shrugged.  (Over the last few months, and after The Hunger Games, Mark's really taken to reading more.)  So, we went to the library.

After I found the books I wanted, Mark met me at the desk and said he'd wait in the car with the kids while I checked out.  I nodded, and stepped up to the counter.  The librariarn pulled my pile closer to her and then also pulled out two more books from beneath the counter.  Books I had resereved.  A smile spread across my face--I love when books come in for me. 

"You have three weeks before they're all due back," she said.

"Yeah," I reached out for the books.  "I know."

"You must read a lot." 

"I love to read," I gushed at her, books pulled into my arms.  "Don't you?  You work at the library.  I wish I could work at the library."

She smiled a kind smile.  "Yes I love to read too, but I don't think I could finish that many in three weeks."  She motioned to the dozen books in my arms.  "I wouldn't have a life if I did."

"Ha ha," I laughed as I walked out of the library and got into the car, a frown forming on my insides. 

When we got home, George and Henry asked if they could play Wii.  At first I was relieved.  "Yes," I agreed, thinking of the time I would have to read.  And then I remembered the wise librarian's prophetic comment.  After a moment, I walked into the front room and picked up one of the Wii controls.

"Let's play." 


Goal 1 for 2010:  Play with my kids

13 SPLURTS:

Unknown said...

I might have to adopt that one as a goal too. Does wii count as a FHE activity?

Kristina P. said...

Sounds like a great goal!

Thanks for your sweet words always.

Kayleen said...

I struggle with the same thing. I have to remember they're only little for a short time and you cannot get this time back. helps me keep things in perspective.
I love being a mom!

Ella said...

Good for you, Erin! Proud of you!

Robyn said...

Wii totally counts as a FHE activity at my house! Disney DDR here we come!

tammy said...

Wise choice!

A. said...

Aha! So that's how you've been able to get all that reading done in the past. :)

Great goal! You won't regret it!

JoMamma said...

He he he the librarian said you read to much. Ha ha. Thats funny

Sara said...

That is a great goal - I think it's too easy to ignore chances to play with our kids because we're so involved in reading/writing/etc. It's a goal I need to focus on too! Way to go! (Except we don't have a Wii...)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Stacey said...

Erin you are awesome! I have been thinking about that too, realizing there is too much time my little girl sits playing by herslef or watching a "show" while I read read read.

Speaking of that...I have a proposition for you. Even if you are cutting back, are you interested in taking up blogging once a week with me and Sara? E-mail me!

Jaime said...

Oh, Erin, you're so good.

I'll play more with my kids this year, too.

(Although, a lot of times that goal turns into "spend more time with my kids," to which I can say, "Hey, kids! Let's read a book!)

Jenny said...

thanks Erin, exactly what I needed to hear, I have such a hard time just focusing on enjoying being with my kiddos.