Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Serious Question for You.

Ok, so recently I have been studying the vernacular of the average teen. It has come to my attention that I don't quite understand all the ins and outs of the modern lingo. One phrase in particular is anything that ends with " . . . much?"

I hear kids say this all the time. It ends with sentences like "skanky much?" or "ghetto much?" And to be frank, I really don't know what they're saying or what it means.

Ask the Audience
If you know, could you please explain it and then use it in a sentence for me so I can have an example to go off of?

Thanks,

erin

11 SPLURTS:

Kristine said...

I don't have a clue, but you saying vernacular made me think of Lil' C. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sara said...

"Skanky much?" would mean "Wow, that girl is really skanky". So I see a girl walking around in stilettos and fishnet tights and a mini skirt with her butt cheeks hanging out and her purple bra showing through a too small white tank, and I'd say, "wow, skanky much?" ;-)

tammy said...

Haha! This is such a "Buffy" phrase. Here is a link to an explanation, although Sara totally did it justice! This link will just give you a legit feeling when you use it.

http://homepages.indiana.edu/web/page/normal/11236.html

"pathetic much?" mwahah! I love Buffy......

i'm erin. said...

OH no Tammy, the link cut off, can you please send me it through email. I seriously need to study this phrase.

Camcorder said...

erin, if we wanted to say it bout you, we'd say "snap a quick one much?" or something like that. it's basically stating the obvious with a sarcastic question. *cause you're soooo good at sarcasm*. jk.

Erin Writes said...

ah...you made my day carson!

Melony said...

sarcastic much?

Marcie said...

We used to say it jokingly in high school too- let's say that someone gives you a compliment and says you're hot and you reply, "Jealous much?" As in, oh yes I'm hot and you must be jealous! The silly things we said/people say...

Erin Writes said...

OH Marcie! Thanks, that's great.

The Herd Mom said...

Wow, interesting! My babysitter started using this frequently just a few weeks ago. Has there been a bit of a delay in the kids picking this up? Isn't Buffy a '90s show? Or it just STILL commonly used slang?

I can't believe I'm discussing the lingo of today's teens on a blog. Makes me feel old. :D

Unknown said...



Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Nutrisi Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Toko Obat Herbal Online
Suplemen Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Herbal Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Suplemen Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Obat Herbal Penambah Nafsu Makan
Suplemen Herbal Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Herbal Kejang-Kejang Pada Anak