Thursday, April 23, 2009

Book Reviews

Today I am just going to say TRUST ME ON THIS. Here is my top pick of books. These are, or will be when I buy them in hard back, on my untouchable shelf--the shelf that no one, not even Mark, can borrow.

1. The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia - by Megan Whalen Turner
This trilogy is AMAZING. I love it and can't say enough about the power of writing in these novels.

2. The Nine Kingdoms Trilogy - Star of the Morning, The Mages Daughter, Princess of the Sword - by Lynn Kurland
If you are a fan of Robin Mckinley (The blue Sword) then this is a must read for you. Romance, Drama, Action, Fantasy...it has it all...and is cleverly written.

3. My Fair Godmother - by Janette Rallison
When I taught high school, I was always finding novels for the students to read. This is a fun read that any girl would LOVE.

4. The Hunger Games - by Suzzane Collins
Crazy, fast paced, not what you'd imagine, perfect example of a distopia! I loved this novel and cant wait for the sequel...if you are adamant about reading sequels back to back...then wait on this one.

5. The Giver - by Lois Lowry
This novel is the reason I decided I wanted to teach English. I love it that much. If you haven't read this one yet, PLEASE run out, buy it or borrow it and read it...then tell me what you think.

6. The Blue Sword - by Robin Mckinley
For fantasy lovers out there, this is a must. I think Robin Mckinley raised the bar for women fantasy writers when she wrote this books so many years ago. It is still excellent.

7. Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages - by Brandon Sanderson
If you really want to sink into a deep fantasy trilogy, this is for you. These meaty novels are filled with suspense, action, drama, and much more.

9. Tunnels by Gordon and Williams
This novel for sure through me for a loop. I definitely didn't expect the ending of this one...but now that the sequel is out, I am loving it!

Bold
10. Harry Potter (all of them) by J. K. Rowling
Of course this set of books is a given. If you haven't read them, then do it.

I'm not quite sure if this is my complete list of must reads, but it sure is a good start. I love much and I cant wait to hear your thoughts on them. If there is a must read out there you think I need to run out and pick up, please let me know.


12 SPLURTS:

Ipo said...

I definitely agree with you on number 10. The rest I have yet to read. I'm always looking for a good read and hesitate to purchase books unless they have been given a good review by someone I trust...and so I will be reading from this list this summer!! I can check 'finding good reads' off my to-do list! Thanks Erin!!

feywriter said...

I love The Giver. One of the most memorable (and reread) books I've had to read for school.

Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown were the books that got me reading fantasy. I'll have to check out Lynn Kurland.

A must read to add to your list: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It really is ground-breaking in fantasy. It's a big book, but well worth it. Beautiful writing, strong story, and a world I didn't want to leave. Very much looking forward to book two.

Sarah said...

Although I liked The Blue Sword, it doesn't come close to Hero and the Crown. Hero is on my list of favorite books in general. Blue Sword isn't even on my list of favorite fantasy books. Tor was my Edward. (and p.s., for most of my young adult life, I believed that I would name my daughter "Aerin." Oh who am I kidding, I still think I might!)

Kristina P. said...

WOw, I haven't read any of these books!

Have you read The Book Thief? Great book.

i'm erin. said...

Sarah you crack me up. But, actually now that I think about it, I totally agree with you! Hero and the crown rocked my world. And Lucky me, I am named Aerin.

kellieanne said...

The Giver? Are you serious?

I loved the other and the ones I haven't read are on my "to read" list.

Krystal said...

Awesome! I love book lists, I'm always at a loss when I go to the library and all the books that I want to read have a huge waiting list. I've never read any of the ones on your list so I'm interested to try them out.

i'm erin. said...

Kellie! The giver is the greatest book ever! I so loved it.

Honey and Hotstuff said...

I totally and completly hated with the utmost of passions: The Giver. It was something that really bothered me in the end. To the point that I cried and it physically hurt. The others sound great and I will have to read them.

Kristine said...

So far I have read #'s 7 & 10. #7 has become my #1.

Oh, and what happened to #8?

tammy said...

I'm with Kellie on the Giver. I dislike it with a passion. But I don't blame you, Erin! And you know I love all the other books you suggest (and loan) to me! :)

Just SO said...

Oh The Giver!! I need to have a copy of that in my home. I love, love, love that book.