Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SHUT UP!

I say it all the time. I say it and I don't even realize I am saying it. Sometimes I mean it...and then those times I admit I am just rude, but considering the majority of the time, I am not saying it to be rude, I am simply using it to express my joy/surprise/satisfaction/disbelief/trepidation type of emotions. Really, the phrase could be used for any occasion at any given time.
Say, your teacher says, "Erin you have 2000 words of your novel due Monday by midnight." In all fairness, I would definitely say an appropriate response would be, "shut up..." (in a surprised, I'll meet your challenge and show you a thing or two - tone)

Perhaps a friend calls to tell you she has to cancel her planned photo shoot because her scumbag hoe lovin' brother in law is a cheater and his wife simply doesn't want to take family photos with him. Response: "Shut up!" (in a shocked, I totally agree with the woman, and give that guy a kick in the you know what - tone)

Or, your potty training 2 1/2 year old just pooped for the 4th time on your living room floor, just after he pooped on the dining room stool. Perfect Response...as opposed to killing him, "Shut UP! You did not just poop it out again." (in a I am on the verge of killing you but will try to control myself - tone)

And lastly, you go to DI and find the dang cutest RED wooden bench that will fit perfectly by the back door under the coat rack for 5$...and your friend just bought the same bench for over $100.00! "SHUT UP!" (in a there is no freakin' way I just got that great of a deal - tone)

You know you say it too, or you have your own substitute! Shout it out here...luv erin

8 SPLURTS:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

"SHUT UP"!!! That's awesome - where's the pic to go with the post?

Just SO said...

As you know I say it all the time too. It's a perfect phrase. Better than cursing all the time.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Haha! Erin, I totally heard your voice (with it's appropriate tone) in my head for each of those responses!

I don't have an all-purpose phrase. After reading this, I think I need one.

Leslie said...

I just can't say it in the non-rude way you can get away with so I just try not to say it. Though, I find myself saying "no way!" WAY too much and I'm sure every one thinks I was born and raised in a low, low valley. ha ha!

However, once last year I did say "shut up" to Christian during one of my mean-mom, no-patience-left moments when he was having a whine fest and he burst into tears. I felt really bad then.

I do think all of your funny stories warrant use of the phrase though, especially the family photo shoot cancellation! No Way! ha ha

Also, I'm happy to report that I'm down 4 pounds from last week as of today. I guess the whole exercise thing works after all.

Kristine said...

My word is "SERIOUS?!?" Problem is, most people respond to me with a "Yes."

Jo said...

If you're going to be a writer then you need to know that $5 is the correct way to write five dollars! Maybe you should let your mom edit your work!
Mom

kellieanne said...

Maybe I should use Shut Up instead of some of the more . . . "colorful" things that come out of my mouth. I don't do it all the times, but when I do, I wish I wouldn't.

Unknown said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Alami Penghilang Benjolan Di Leher
Obat Diabetes Herbal Terbaik
Cara Menghancurkan Batu Empedu Secara Alami
Cara Menghilangkan Kanker Rahim Stadium Awal
Cara Mengobati Ambeien Luar
Obat Herbal Tumor Kelenjar Parotis
Tips Pengobatan Alternatif Diabetes Melitus
Obat Kolesterol Alami Untuk Melawan Kolesterol Jahat
Solusi Sehat Dengan Herbal Alami
Pengobatan Syaraf Kejepit Di Kaki