Friday, April 18, 2008

Katy...and her Mom

Last weekend I took some senior shots of cute Katy. She brought her mom along for the shoot so I added her into a few shots. I really love the last shot of Katy and her mom talking. I am not sure what they were talking about, and I fooled them into forgetting I was there by pretending to be 'setting' up my camera. I sure do like candid shots the best.



1. To get this jumping shot I brought a chair along with me to the shoot. I had Katy jump off the chair and I laid on the ground. I used my 70-135 mm lens and upped my shutter speed to 1/500th. I think my f-stop was at 5.6. I wanted to expose mostly for the blue background and pick up mainly her sillouette and just a hint of color on her clothes. I love the sun glare in this shot.



2. This second shot is my favorite of her alone because of the airy lightness to the shot. I had her lay down on the grass, and I laid down on the grass too. The sun was shining behind her and I wanted it to light up her hair. It also light up the grass perfectly, and made a beautiful haze!
I laid as low as I could in the grass about 10 feet away and I used a 85mm fixed lens. My Shutter speed was probably 250, and my f-stop was 4 or 8 (sorry I can't remember the exact). I desaturated the picture a little in photo shop and added in only yellow saturation.


3. This picture is one of my favorite candid. I had Mom and daughter sit and talk while I worked on setting my camera...hahahaha...really I was just snapping shots. I like the angle of this shot. I used the paint brush tool on a low opacity to white out the edges of the picture, I added a boarder by using the canvas/percent size . I think my shutter was 250 and my f-stop was 8.

I liked these pictures, so I thought I would share my info...if you have any tips or advice for me, please share too. I love getting new advice or info. Also, I am just learning this photo shop thing and I would love new ideas...Please Share!

4 SPLURTS:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

I love that you're sharing how you got the shot. I know your info certainly helped me out on a shoot a few weeks ago. Keep this up, I know it'll help me get better shots in the future!

Plus, these look GREAT! Love them!

Maman Pélissié said...

Great shots Erin! I just learned last night in photoshop class how to add the border. So fun to see you do it!

Ticklemedana said...

Huzzah! I'm so excited to have you photograph me...I wanna wait a little bit until everything is in full bloom...or should we go now while it's half and half?? ARGHH! I don't know...regardless, my favorite shots of me are outside, so I'm excited. =D

kellieanne said...

What a great candid shot of Katy and her Mom. Talent! You know you've got it.