Thursday, January 31, 2008

Let me tell you a story...

...about a boy and his dog.

Yesterday while I carried on a telephone conversation with a certain Mrs. Carter, I was interrupted several times by a whining 4 year old. "Mom, Mom, what can I do now?" and "Mom, Mom, I am sooooo bored" were comments that disrupted my daily phone chat. Oh! I was so bothered by this pint sized whimperer of a boy. "Henry," with finality in my voice I issued, "I am on the phone right now. GO play with the dog!" And off he went, sensing he had lost his battle, to find our sometimes mentally slow black lab. Welcoming silence at last, I continued on with my book discussion with Mrs. Carter. Henry crawled around on his hands and knees, pausing every now and then to wiggle his rear end and utter a soft bark into the air. How sweet, Henry was pretending to be a puppy. Oh! I do like that much better than his constant whining plaguing my phone conversations. I watched as Bubba (the slow overgrown lab) and Henry (my 4 year old lab in training) pranced and trotted around the dining room in great joy of boy and his dog fun. I felt such contentment watching whining-free Henry while I discussed the latest book I had read with Mrs. Carter.

Then, without warning, Henry angled his pretend puppy body around to the rear side of Bubba
and began to take short sniffing bursts at Bubba's poop shoot! UGH...Henry was sniffing Bubba's rear end. Without even considering I was still on the phone with a certain Mrs. Carter I screeched, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Henry looking like an innocent dog's bum sniffer, looked up, barked a small dog's bark, and sweetly said, "Mom, I'm a dog right now. Remember, you told me to play with the dog." And then he added, (because it was clear to him that I didn't already know this) "Mom, this is what dog's do!"
I love this shot! Actually I love the one above and the one below. I just think Henry is so handsome! And the shot below really captures how Bubba follows the boys around...like he is one of them.




11 SPLURTS:

Just SO said...

Fabulous shots of Henry! LOL at your little dog bum sniffer!!! You have the greatest black mail EVER in that story. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Shelby said...

um, Erin.....considering your propensity for pictures of bizarre human behavior *cough--babypoop--cough* I'm wondering why there isn't an actual photo of said bum-sniffing....Henry looks fabulous in yellow, by the way.

Rach said...

Henry is definately growing up to be a handsome boy...and the dog sniffing is quite the task, but atleast he hasn't tried to stick something up the poop shoot.

Natalie. said...

diggin' the colors and the light girlfriend! Also diggin' the tattoo! Tell Henry he's a rock star. . .but tell him that Auntie Nat thinks real tattoos are icky, but the sticky kind are cool.

gurrbonzo said...

Well, that IS what dogs do...

JayandCassandra said...

Awwww.... thanks for sharing. I miss you guys.

Nikki said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I think I'd prefer my kids to sniff dog bums over licking shiny things. My kids lick shiny things. This has led to a few cases of Rotavirus in our home. I was so sad to see the shiny beautiful trashcan (Danny's Grandma gave us) go. But ick.

Unknown said...

Um... listen to your mom?

JayandCassandra said...

Superman!!!! I Told you! That Tatoo is SICK!!!!! Way to go Henry! Aloha, Jay

Marcie said...

Henry is such a cutie, even though he is a doggie bum sniffer! :P I love his sweet little face in the pic with Teddy.

Naniloa Loop Scoop said...

I miss Henry.