Monday, October 01, 2007

ALERT: Foot in Mouth...

I recently ate dinner at a close friend's home with her extended family. I have known this family for quite some time and felt perfectly comfortable around her sisters, brothers, brother-in-laws, aunts and cousins. Throughout the dinner we entertained an array of different conversations. At one point the conversation led to "weird" abnormalities on one's body...not mine of course, but someone else's at the dinner table. My dear friend's sister's husband noted that he often was teased for his overly large chin. I noted that it was larger than mine, but I didn't think it was abnormal or different in any way. He chuckled to himself and then recounted a similar comment that was made to him at his work place, because apparently at work they discussed abnormal body parts. He told me how one at a time, fellow co-workers came and examined his chin and all were repulsed and displayed a range of random reactions upon feeling his chin.
Of course I didn't want to be left out of the chin loop, so I opted to reach out and give his chin a squeeze. I thought that at most his chin would feel rough and scratchy because of his overgrown goatee, but when I reached forward and took hold, I jumped back with a screech in utter disgust! His chin felt like a giant squishy stress ball. The 1/2 - 1 inch end of his chin was squishy, spongy, and abnormal...ok, seriously it was FREAKISH! He laughed at my reaction and said he gets that response all the time. Apparently he has an extra fat pad at the end of his chin that most others do not have...save perhaps Jay Leno. My response to him was, "UGH, that is sooooo freakish, it is almost like having a third nipple!" Which I then broke out into spurts of laughter over my humorous comparison.

At this point, my dear friend's aunt, who was sitting directly next to my dear friend's sister's husband, said matter-o-factly, "My son has a third nipple." At this flabbergasting point I didn't know what to say, so I tried to gracefully bow out of the awkward situation, by saying, "oh, that sounds cool, I mean...umm, third nipple's aren't freakish, because most of the time they are in the armpit and not hardly noticeable at all, I mean, it would be weird if it was on his chest...". I then trailed off as my dear friend's older aunt stated, "His is on his chest, not in his armpit." I shifted in my seat clearly uncomfortable with the conversation, and decided the best thing to do would be to direct the "freak" attention elsewhere. I ended the conversation by saying, "Third nipples are cool, not weird like (friend's sister's husband's) crazy chin." At that point I could see the conversation should end immediately, so I shoved a fork full of mashed potatoes in my mouth and became thoroughly engrossed with the remaining dinner on my plate.

14 SPLURTS:

Nikki said...

Glad I'm not you.

gurrbonzo said...

HAHAHAHAHA!

Welcome to my life. I say things like that a lot. The chin thing is gross, and so are third nipples, let's be honest :)

Dakrat said...

Wow. Normally at this point I would say something consoling about how I am sure no one was deeply offended or emotionally scarred for life by your comments, but all I can seem to get out is...wow.

Haley Hale said...

You are so funny! Now come see me!

Carterista said...

Oh, that I were a fly on the wall...

Marcie said...

This sounds like it came right from a sitcom! Erin, you have the best stories. How would you have expected that someone actually had a third nipple, or "nubbin?" So funny, but so embarrassing!

Leslie said...

Hmmm, I think this chin fondling incident needs further investigation...

Shelby said...

Well---havimg been on the receiving end of being told parts of my body are freakish,(ahem....abnormaly flat belly-button) I would respectfully say that third-nipple-boy's mother should have more of a sense of humor about her son's unique physique, maybe even be proud of it!! I am!

Supercool Mom said...

Haha, that is hysterical...ROFLOL!!!

Nikki's blog-stalker :) She wanted to be sure that as many people in the world as possible knew of your embarrassing moment - sisters are the best.

Shayleen Lunt said...

I do think you should submit that to all the major network channels for a sitcom idea...then at least you could make money on your embaressing moments.

Unknown said...

Erin and body parts...

The chin did sound strange. Third nipple... hmm... I guess if he was a woman it might have been a blessing if he had triples or on second thoughts maybe not. I am going to try to get that image out of my mind now.

BipolarBunny said...

Well, people shouldn't have squishy chins. That's just creepy.

Rach said...

i just can't stop laughing...hee hee hee and laughing at other people's comments....hee hee hee....hee

mailman said...

Reminds me of the time I...oh never mind..
Plgrovemailman