Tuesday, September 25, 2007

To tell you the truth...

To tell you the truth, I am utterly DEPRESSED! Today I had the most devestating blow ever. I recently picked up the hobby of Quilting, and I am by no means an expert quilter, but a budding apprentice quilter who likes pretty fabrics. Since my first quilt was completely free, paid for by my lovely quilter Mom, I decided to jump wallet first into the quilting world and purchase fabric, at a minimal discount, to create a Halloween themed quilt. I went to the store, bought the fabric, paid the choking amount, and then proceeded to "piece" the top. I finished the top and I left it out for a few days to admire the intricate Halloween prints melded together by the creativity of my quited pattern. Believe me, it is sooooo Halloweeny cute! (Yes, I know 'Halloweeny' isn't a real word, but it fits so nicely in my sentence, I went ahead and used it anyway. Besides, Shakespeare made up all kinds of wacked words.) What was I saying? Oh, yes, so I put the top on my mom's quilting machine so I could attach the bottom and the inside batting. I quilted about 3/4's of the quilt when the machine suddenly stopped. I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I changed the thread and replaced the bobbin thread. When I was under the machine replacing the bobbin thread, to my dismay, I saw the most devestating sight. The bottom of my quilt was marred with gargantuous nests of tangled thread. From one end of my quilt to the other, the underside of my almost completed masterpiece was a tangled nightmare, a nightmare that would take hours if not days to unpick and then restitch. DARN THAT BLASTED QUILTING MACHINE! I sat under the machine and cried, then called my sister, told her my story, hung up the phone, cried again, ate the only chocolate I could find in the house, called my mom and cursed her machine, and then walked away. In fact, the blasted, ruined, very expensive quilt is still nailed to the blasted quilting machine. BLAST DARN BLAST SON OF A ....

That is my story. But I guess as the saying goes, "Quilt not lest ye be marred with disparaging thread nests."

9 SPLURTS:

Shelby said...

Erin--I feel your pain. You need to come to my house for a dessert-eating, Moulin-Rouge watching, unpicking party! That way, I get to see you, your Halloweeney quilt, watch a movie I haven't seen in 18 months and indulge in something sweet! Everybody wins!! Whadaya say?

Tammy

kellieanne said...

Count me in! I will help with the unpicking. I haven't seen Moulin Rouge in oh, about 18 months too! Just another thought - I know what that tangled tension/bobbin mess can look like - done it myself. You could just leave it in to show the "scary" part of your halloweeney quilt!

Shayleen Lunt said...

I just started my first quilt this week and I guess I'm glad it will take me much longer to finish because of my lack of a quilting machine. I'm sure it will all be worth it after all the unpicking.

Kami said...

Man Erin that is awful...

I say we bring back the good old fashioned "quilting bee" and do it by hand. That way you are incharge instead of some machine going postal on you.

Hey, if you end up having an unpicking-pity party, let me know...I'll bring chocolate. :)

Good Luck- Kami

Carterista said...

Wow, Erin. If I'd known what you'd been through, I'd have taken you shopping with me. I'm really sorry about the quilt fiasco. Although I don't quilt, I'm an experienced unpicker. Call ya later!

Haley Hale said...

Just to let you know, as soon as we walked onto the beach in California, I said to Aaron, "I will never enjoy the beach again, unless I am in Hawaii." You and your beautiful island have ruined me! By the way, we need to get together.

Marcie said...

I'm so sorry, Erin! That is such a bummer. Hopefully your quilt can be salvaged without too much trouble before Halloween!

Shari said...

Erin
If I lived closer I would volunteer my picking skills. It never fails that when I decide to take on a sewing project something goes wrong and I must unpick.
luv,Shari

Leslie said...

That's why you need to come visit me again and I will quilt it for you! However, in the meantime it's time to try your little children in the art of unpicking. Even little teddy can get busy and help.