Friday, January 12, 2007

I love RACHEL RAY

I just wanted to share a great recipe with you! Now, I have been trying to drop the baby weight by working out and doing weight watchers. I have been doing ok, but I hit the holiday rut. I was so excited yesterday when Rachel Ray made an incredible light pasta dish, because pasta is my favorite of all favorite foods! The following recipe is actually a combination of a couple of her recipes because I played around with it a little bit. It might sound a bit scary to you, but please try it! Mark and the boys loved it and I loved it so much, I made it twice already!

Cauliflower and Vegetable Penne
Serves: 10

Ingredients:
1 tbl. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
3-4 garlic cloves chopped
1 med. red onion chopped
1 head of cauliflower coarsly choped into small pieces
1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1/2 - 1 tbl. Chopped rosemary (fresh or dried)
salt
Pepper

1 medium Zucchini Cut into 2-3 inch strips (resembling french fries)
Fresh or Frozen string green beans (two large handfuls)

12 oz. Whole Wheat Penne (or Barilla Plus Penne)
1/2 cup Italian Cheese Mixture (or shredded mozzarella)

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water and begin to cook the penne in the salted boiling water. After the pasta has been cooking for 8 minutes, throw in the cut Zucchini and Frozen Green beans. Continue cooking until beans, zucchini and pasta are tender. Drain pasta/veggie mixture and then place into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle italian cheese mixture on top and toss.

While water is boiling, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and lightly brown. Add chopped onion to lightly browned garlic and stir well. Continue cooking over a medium high heat until onion is tender. Add chopped cauliflower and stir well for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, rosemary and salt to taste, stir well, cover mixture and simmer until cauliflower is soft. Pepper to taste and remove mixture from heat. With a potato masher, mash the mixture until all the ingredients are blended togather like a chunky sauce! Pour sauce over the pasta/veggie mixture and lightly toss. Serve immediately!

This recipe is so yummy! please try it and then tell me what you think!

1 SPLURTS:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a different and delicious recipe- I'll have to try it sometime. It must be good for all your men to like it without any meat in it! I'm a Rachael Ray fan too. I'm all about fast, easy, yummy, recipes.