Saturday, May 05, 2012

Writing Conferences and SECRET 27

As I write this I'm sitting in a blogging seminar at LDS Storymakers 2012 (a writing conference for anyone who wants to learn anything about writing). I'm here as the official photographer, not just a creepy person with a big-A camera.

What I'm learning is apparently I shouldn't have left my blog dead for a month and a half. Sorry about that.

So here I am, jumping back in with both feet, sharing secrets like a secret BOSS.

Secret 27: I do voice exercises in the shower

Fourteen years of teaching aerobics have shot my vocal chords to hell. Honestly, sometimes when I wake in the morning I sound like an old man with smoker's lungs. My voice is scratchy, deep, and manly. Give me you're phone number and I'll call you first thing (say 10:30 am) and you'll see. Full man mode.

It helps to warm up those vocal chords in a hot shower. Warmups include random sounds, sometimes a song, other times screechy noises that might have a feline-like quality.

Either way, if you're ever listening to me shower and I sound like a screechy cat, then you shouldn't be judging, but asking why you're the creepy hanging by my bathroom door. Just saying.


11 SPLURTS:

Leslie said...

I think you were just secretly strangling a cat in the shower today. Those could not have been human sounds. ;)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

How many hours a week do you spend doing aerobics...?

Jessie Humphries said...

I seriously thought a cat was dying outside in the alleyway.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Oh, my gosh. We were dying, Erin! I seriously went to the window to see if one of the fighting cats in the alleyway below was actually dying. I couldn't see any, but then we heard the fighting sounds again, and we looked at each other in awe and mouthed, "Is that Erin?! Just one of the many things that make rooming with you such a blast. :o)

Patti said...

Apparently my voice sounds like a little kid, because I whenever I answer the phone they ask if my mom is home.

Wish I could have been at the conference, maybe next year.

Iain said...

You weren't that screechy. Erm, I mean, I heard someone say that you weren't that screechy.
Glad you're back! :o)
I hope the conference gave you all the inspiration you were after!

Jenny S. Morris said...

LOVE YOU! And missed your silliness during your absence. Sounds like you had a ton of fun/work at the conference.

Katie Dodge said...

That was YOU in the hotel? I thought I heard the cat too. And we were two floors above you. AHhh, I love you and your crazy antics. ;)

Jennie Bennett said...

I love to sing in the shower, although I can't say that anyone else in my house appreciates it :)

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm here to follow your blog because Elana Johnson said to, so: nice to meet you, Erin!

Angela Brown said...

I have a secret. I have been terrible. I enjoyed coming to your blog on a regular basis then I fell off. Your quirky humor and wonderful nature is just captivating. Then I fell off.

Bad me.

So I'm slowly getting back in the habit because I've been so off base with all the different things happening.

I'm sorry.

Please forgive...please?