Tuesday, October 11, 2011

writing inspiration - working out

When I was seventeen I graduated from high school and went away to college. My freshman year I put on twenty pounds. Ugh. I felt tired and pudgy. After hearing me bemoan the drama of my tummy tire, my roomate convinced me to take an aerobics class with her. Reluctantly, I went.

I hated it.
Every muscle burn, drip of sweat, and labored breath. I loathed aerobics.

I know what you're thinking (well, maybe I know). You're thinking, that's weird because Erin is an aerobic instructor. Yep that's right. I am. See the thing is, when I was seventeen (not so many years ago), I made a deal with myself. I decided I would stick with it until I LOVED working out.

And the funny thing is, now that I love it I don't want to stop. I usually work out five days a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But I've found that consistency is the key. The more I do it, the more my body expects it. And really after awhile all those push-ups and lunges kind of, sort of feel great.

Writing is like working out.

Sometimes you hate it. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes forming a great scene is as hard as doing a hundred one-arm pushups.

But the more you persist in writing every day, the easier it gets. And the easier it gets, the more you love it . . . like aerobics. Right?

How often do you write? 
When do you write?
What time of the day works best for you?
If you don't write, but you just read my ghetto blog for fun, what would you write if you were a writer? 


Please for the love of all things holy, just respond so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself. I'm such a sucker for a comment. 


Luv, erin

21 SPLURTS:

Jessie Humphries said...

U already know this about me...but a.m. is the way to go for me. when the sun sets so does my creative juice. When the sun rises...so does my spark. I just finished a spin class btw. Kick a!

Amber said...

I guess I'm not really a writer, but I do love to write my blog about my kids, but I usually only post when I have a good picture to go along with my writing!!

Brekke said...

Once upon a time I was a writer. I've written a stage play that was produced, an adaption of Little Women for Stage which was produced, a couple of shorts, a 30 min screenplay, a feature length screenplay, poems and short stories all before I was 19 years old. Now I am old, and married and I have written two children's books (that probably will never see the light of day). I want to write, but I don't seem to have the time to like I used to. I need to. You inspire me to write, but really, I have to do my writing through photography, you know "A picture is worth 1000 words", so by now, I probably have some sort of epic novel on my hands!

I need to write again. I have ideas, I just need to put myself to it.

i'm erin. said...

Jessie, you are kick a.

Amber!!! I'm so happy to hear from you. Post more about your kiddos so I can come stalk you.

Brekke, uh, what the freak? YOu're like super woman. I feel ill now.

Brekke said...

No, I USED to be super woman, really before I think I was considered a woman. Now I just muddle through. LOL

Nathan said...

I try and write every day. I have a rule: if it's 7:00pm, it's time to write. I drop whatever I'm doing and write until I'm done, which usually ends up being an hour or two.
I always have to write in the evenings. I have had a day of brainstorming and now I'm itching to put fingers to keys. I've found that, if I write every day, it becomes something I HAVE to do or I feel like I'm missing something in my schedule. Which is helpful in keeping the wordcount up. :P

Abby Fowers said...

LOL. You are too cute. I like working out when the workout is sort of the secondary factor. Like playing soccer or basketball. I go to play but get a great workout too! Love it. And this is a great way to apply it to writing. :) So true.

i'm erin. said...

Nathan, that's exactly how I feel! I have to do it or I feel all weird and stuff.

Abby, I'm horrid when it comes to actual sports.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I write every day, usually (hopefully) in the mornings if I can manage it, because I think better then.

Love the analogy, I'll keep it in mind. I didn't know you taught aerobics! Is there anything you DON't do? I wish I loved working out like that ;)

DEZMOND said...

I have totally opposite story :) I lost more than 60 pounds during college ... it was a Hell I'm still trying to forget.

And when it comes to work, my office is open from early afternoon to late evening :)

Iain said...

I write in my lunch hour. I sneak off to a quiet spot where I won't get disturbed. I also write on my journey home, which means that I don't get too tetchy when there are delays. (Not in the morning though, as I need to catch up on my beauty sleep.)
How comes we don't get to find out when you write?

Jessica G. said...

I try to write every day, even if it's just a few jotted notes or a review/edit of a previous chapter. I need to keep the book in my head so I can fill in those pesky plot holes. Usually, I can only write when the kids are asleep.
And as someone who has gotten their chunky butt kicked in your aerobics class, I have mixed feelings as to whether or not I'm glad you stuck with it. :P

Jessica G. said...

And I meant to ask if you were planning on going to the meet-n-greet or the kick-off party for NaNoWriMo?

i'm erin. said...

Jessica! When is the meet and greet? I totally want to go? Should I dress up?

Precy Larkins said...

Can I just borrow your energy and enthusiasm for aerobics? :)))

I write when I can. I write even better when given a deadline/goal. My friends and I have been giving ourselves specific goals--mine was to write everyday and finish the WIP (which I had ignored all summer long). Having supportive friends is definitely a motivator.

Anonymous said...

How often do you write?

I'm at the stage when I write when I feel like it, for fun and a hobby because uni and baby don't leave me the energy.

When do you write? Mornings, that way I get off time in the afternoon and evenings when hubby is home from work.

What time of the day works best for you? weekends for the moment, though during the holidays I want to try to see whether I have the stamina to treat writing as a full time job.

Gail Shepherd said...

Hey Erin: I've finally learned to write "whenever" -- that is, whenever I can grab a moment. I'm no longer picky -- I can write in a noisy room or a cafe almost any time of day. Editing, though, requires quiet, because I'm less in the "flow" than I am when writing fresh words. I've been writing in various genres for 30 years, and being able to write "on command" took a long time and a lot of practice, though. Being a journalist in a noisy newsroom on deadline helped with this a lot. : )

Alexis Bass said...

I try to write everyday. No routine, mainly because I've found having a routine to be impossible. :) I just try to fit it in between work, workouts, chores, and friends.

SummShine said...

Writing on a bus sucks; wspecially if you are on the upper deck of a double decker!

But it beats trying not to write when you are tired and want to go to bed. That's usually what has happened to me. I just can't sleep until I have written things down.

I have a question for you now?
What if you really want to write a book that in all honesty is a bit darker and scarier than your religious beliefs should allow? write or don't write?

Katie Dodge said...

I so have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate it until I get used to it, then I love it. And I write whenever I get a spare moment. Which is few and far between.;)

Peggy Eddleman said...

I think you are totally right! Consistency is key. I can completely agree with something without actually doing it myself, right?