Thursday, September 22, 2011

aerobics, pee, and karma.

I started teaching aerobics when I was 18. Which as you might guess, was in the not so distant past

Snort...fine you haters, stop rolling your eyes. It was awhile ago.

On with my story: 
One day during class, a woman complained of all the jumping jacks and jump rope exercises. She asked if we could do less, or none at all.
Being a huge fan of jump rope and it's body toning benefits, I couldn't figure out why she didn't like the activity. Maybe she was just having a lazy day. I've had a few of those. I could sympathize.
I asked her if she was having a hard time breathing. She said breathing wasn't the problem. It was peeing.
"Peeing?" I asked, unsure if I heard her correctly.
She nodded and explained that since having her last baby, jumping made her feel as if she might pee her pants.
Not having kids of my own, I couldn't figure out why having a baby would make you feel like you might pee. I told her we were almost finished and it was probably just a sensation thing. She should try to continue with the class. No pain no gain, right?
Apparently I was wrong. A minute later she bolted from the room leaving a puddle in her wake.

I felt like the most awful teacher ever.

Flash forward a few years after I had three kids of my own. 

After teaching a exceptionally challenging workout routine I decided to stop by the store on the way home. I pushed the cart up and down the aisles, as my toddler swung his legs, kicking me in the stomach.
"Henry," I stopped in my tracks beside the frozen foods. "Stop kicking me. It hurts Mommy."
He looked at my face, then at where he was kicking...then he looked a little lower. (Side Note: I sweat A LOT!) 

"Momma!" He squealed. "You peed your pants. You peed, you peed, you peed. Georgie look, Momma peed."
I tried to shush him, but he wouldn't stop. That kid chose that exact moment to holler like he'd never hollered before. "Momma peed!" he yelled until every adult in a three aisle range was made aware of my body sweat issue.

I decided right then that it was karma because I made that poor lady jump till she peed. I guess in life sometimes things come back to bite you in the butt. That's all.

(Side note: Oh, and if you're thinking my sweatiness was more than sweat, I'll deny it till I die.)

9 SPLURTS:

fijiangirl said...

Ha Ha Ha! I love this post, especially the timing of it. I was trying to explain to my 20 something, single, male, personal trainer today at the gym why I was willing to do anything but jumping jacks or jumping rope! I said I will do what you want me to do but you can't ask a woman with 4 kids to do jumping Jacks! I don't think he got it.

Carterista said...

Pee, barf, poop...you have stories to top them all, my friend!! I about died laughing when you told your barfing stalker story a couple of weeks ago at your house.

Brekke - Felt Photography said...

I often will do "mini" jacks in your class for fear of having to rush to the restroom. I know when not to push my luck. I pee when I sneeze, nearly every time. So when you see me, taking it easy on jumping jacks in class, I am glad to know you understand why. Ha ha ha!

TinaJ said...

Oh, the stories my kids could tell about a some of my "sweating incidents".

Janette Rallison said...

Now aren't you glad you aren't one of those celebrities who has paparazzi trailing you everywhere? Look for the silver lining where you can.

Jessie Humphries said...

Erin if your goal is to disgust me enough that I dont want to spoon anymore...you win!

Emerson Experiment said...

Erin-I miss your spunkiness in your classes @ BYUH!! LOL, I totally remember when you had us jumping with the ropes and you told us its okay if we peed a little on ourselves! LOL! And THAT is why I don't jump too high :)

Unknown said...

Ok you need to write a book

linda said...

Omg, you have the most hilarious stories!