Friday, March 13, 2009

Have I Got A Story For You...THE CONCLUSION!

#1 Rule when approaching an agent, editor or THE PUBLISHER - never, never, NEVER spill your guts about your story unless they ask.

#2 Rule when approaching an agent, editor or THE PUBLISHER - Be interested in them!

"So, I noticed that you also published Fablehaven and James Dashner's 13th Reality," I started, trying to butter up to him by showing my knowledge base of books he's had a major role in publishing.

"Yes, that's right," he nodded a smile creeping to the corners of his mouth. (SCORE, I got him to smile).

"Since I'm such a fan of the books you've published, I was wondering what else you might be working on. Can you tell me what else is coming out besides Mark Forman's novel?" Finishing my loaded question (loaded as in, I hoped it would lead into me suggesting that I send him my novel), I smiled brightly and shifted my weight, trying to look as comfortable as possible.

(Rule #2 worked like magic) His eyes lit up and he dropped his tight folded arms, speaking expressively as he explained that he really wanted to break into the fantasy romance genre. Since Shadow Mountain is clearly a huge contender for YA fantasy, he thought it would be great if they broadened their base.

Nodding as he spoke, I could barely contain my mounting excitement. YA fantasy romance? Why, that's exactly what I write. Believe me when I say I had to strain my muscles to stop my feet from dancing an Irish jig.

He spoke about one manuscript they had in mind, but he was looking for more.

(Insert light bulb flashing above my super cute do' for the day)
"Hm," I said sweetly, "that's interesting you should mention fantasy romance. I just so happen to write fantasy romance, and in fact, my fantasy romance novel is just about done."

"Really?" His eyebrows arched in posed interest.

"Fo' shiznit!" I wanted to exclaim, but I kept it to a simple, "Yes, and I believe it has great promise to it." I spoke a little bit about the super-secret-special writing class I am taking and the writing group I'm a part of. As I spoke, he nodded, seeming to actually listen to me.

After I finished, I gulped back thinking how I could take the final plunge and ask him if I could send him something.

Before I could ask he cut into my thoughts, saying, "That sounds interesting. Would you like to send me something?"
Hello! Would I like to send him something?!?

Flustered I asked, "So, I can send you something?" Agh, did I just ask him if I could send him something after he just asked if I could send him something? Why are things so confusing?

He broke the sudden awkward silence. "Yeah," he said, tilting his head to the side nodding slowly...very slowly, "that would be fine."

I struggled to hear the rest of what he said as I fought the pounding heartbeat that pulsated in my ears. Could this really be happening to me?

After I left with his name and directions of where to send my submission, I walked keeping my composure until I figured I was out of ear shot. When I felt the coast was clear, I jumped nearly 5 feet in the air whooping and hollering, "Are you freakin' kidding me? Seriously? Did I just meet a publisher?" Costco patrons scooted out of my frenzied way, eyeing me curiously. But, I didn't mind. I just made my first leap into the world of publishing.

26 SPLURTS:

Kristina P. said...

That's so exciting, Erin!

Just SO said...

Dude I'm giving you 10 up top for that!!!! SWEET!!!!! You darn well better sign your book for me when I buy it.

Ipo said...

Awesome, aWesome, AWESOME! I'm so happy and excited for you! I hope the best of the bestest for your novel and for you!!

missionary mama said...

holy guacamole! that is soooooooooooo jaw-dropping, mind-blowing, and impressive! you totally deserve that!

wow! you've got everything going for you. congrats miss!

keep us posted.

Bobbi said...

Erin, that is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! It's truly meant to be! Poor Stefanie Meyer won't even know what hit her!!! I can't wait for the movie to come out!! (Oh wait...I'm getting ahead of myself.) Congrats and good luck!!!

Kayleen said...

Congrats! Love the way you shared your good news with us. Keep me posted on how it turns out! :)

Leslie said...

That is so crazy, lucky. Well, the fact that you were so smart to go back and be assertive (but not over the top) is what really cinched it. Remember when you are making the big bucks who to dedicate your book to. No, not Mark - me!

Marcie said...

That is so awesome and as I was reading it I was thinking of how it was meant to be! :)

Brooke said...

That's an amazing story! I hope it has an even better conclusion than what you just posted, ie; bestseller...I can see it now!

Nikki said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big8smiley said...

Cool! Good luck!!

Maman Pélissié said...

That is awesome! Boy, you know how to work it!

Nick and Emily said...

that's my talented little miss Erin working her magic wherever she goes. Can't wait for the rest of the book. It's sure to be the next big thing. Twilight here we come!!!

Shayleen Lunt said...

That is such a cute, fun and exciting story. Congrats. Keep us posted!

holmesfam.blogspot.com said...

WOW...that is awesome...and THANK YOU for not making us wait all weekend for the conclusion...I can't wait to read your book!

Carterista said...

You are the MASTER getter!!!

kellieanne said...

I love it Erin! Here's sending some Irish luck your way! Maybe you would be better off with liquid luck, like from Harry Potter. Or . . . maybe you have your own form of luck explained in your book! I can't wait to read it!

sanaejames photography said...

I was hoping the build up would end up being amazing...which it totally was! CONGRATS girl! I really hope something great comes out of it. When you become all rich and famous, don't forget all us little peeps!:)

Sarah said...

I'm not at all surprised! Fantastic Erin!

Weight Family said...

Good job! That is super exciting!

Haley Hale said...

I would not wear Hammer pants, but wanted to comment anyway: What an awesome story! I am so excited for you! I love how you always have the confidence to go for what you want.

Weight Family said...

So, did you get a pass to Thanksgiving Point? That is seriously a great purchase..

Anonymous said...

Right on Erin!! Good job!! Exciting...

Anonymous said...

For reals though.. that is exciting...!! didn't know you were a book writer! Wish you the best of luck.

Rach said...

So cool!! way to go.

feywriter said...

Found you! Everyone keeps telling me this story, yet no one remembers the details, so I had to come read your story myself. So awesome! Let us know how it goes. :-)

~Mary W. Jensen