Friday, October 07, 2011

friday five.

In Utah, it seems like this is the weekend for writing conferences. Well, at least two that I know of. At UVU, prospective and pubbed writers can attend the Book Academy, or if you want to trek into the cold snowy Utah mountains, there's the Heart of the West conference held at the Canyons Resort. My writing buddies and I have been to both, but this year we're heading up to Park City for the Heart of the West conference. In fact, we got here last night and I'm freezing my toosh off. There's something seriously wrong when it snows during the first week of October. (Silent prayer to move back to Hawaii)


Today I'd like to dedicate this post to Writing Conferences. I'm not a complete conference groupie, but I go to a couple a year. And I've learned a thing or two that may help you.

Five Things To Do At A Writing Conference


1. Shower
How should I put this? Since I'm not one for putting things in a delicate manner, I'll just say it. Sometimes people stink. And sometimes a room can be filled with the stench of dirty head. (I'm not pointing any fingers at the ladies I'm attending the conference with. I'm just saying.) Fifty writers in a room can smell bad. I know I don't shower for days on end when I'm in writing mode. But conference mode is different. For the love of all books, please shower.

2. Keep your bra to yourself
Or better said, don't wear shirts that have buttons. This one really just comes from personal experience. But since I'm back at the same conference, I certainly don't want to flash any hot pink braziers to older, erotica-writing men. You can read about that HERE! 
(Side note: Don't try searching for "pink bras" on google. Big mistake. UGH.)

3. Leave the Wizarding Costume at Home
Well, if you're going to World-Con, go for it. But for any other conference, it's always best to dress your best. Wear something that plays up to your eye-color or hair style. I think setting a good first impression is sometimes more important than showing the world how much you love The Lord of the Rings. Then again, I've seen some fab costumes at conferences so I could be totally wrong about this one.


4. Put on a Happy Face
It may be a year from now when I get published, or ten years from now (heaven forbid). But since I don't know, I think it's best to always be friendly to other prospective writers. I've met some of my best friends at writing conferences. If it wasn't for Jessie Humphries smiling face and charming wit, we wouldn't be friends now. If you're open to making new friends, you can find your greatest writing supports at conferences.


5. Go with me and you'll find an agent
Call it luck, but there's something about attending a conference with me that will snag you an agent faster than you could probably finish your WIP. The last time I came to the HOW conference I attended with three other ladies. Two ended up signing with the agents from the conference. How is it possible I wasn't one of them? Well, my WIP wasn't ready. It's still not ready. The whole photography life of mine sometimes gets in the way. But I don't mind so much. I'm just glad to help another writer along even if it is by strange coincidence.

That's my five! Now keep it alive. I'd love to hear what things you've learned at writing conferences.
What conferences have you been to?
What has been your favorite conference?
What's something you've learned from going to a conference?

18 SPLURTS:

Emily R. King said...

I haven't been to a conference, but if I went, I'd go with you! I'd love to up my chances of landing an agent.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Snort. I concur on all five. In fact, number five is why I have gone with you to every conference. :)

I loved Writing for Young Readers! And LDStorymakers. And possibly the one today. I'll get back to you on that one. :)

i'm erin. said...

E.R. If you go to a conference with me, I promise I'll hook you up. In a good way. Not an inappropriate way.

Peggy, you and I will spoon tonight.

Angela Cothran said...

Holy Cow those dread were horrid! These are great tips. I didn't know about the conference in Park City...next year.

New follower here *waves*

Donna K. Weaver said...

I went to the Book Academy. I hadn't heard of the other. Oh, well, I don't have that much vacation time to be gone.

Love your list!

i'm erin. said...

Hooray Angie! I'm so glad that you're here.

And Donna, it's a fun one if you want to get away to the canyon and write.

Jessie Humphries said...

I love ultra smelly conferences where all the sci-fi crowd gather.

By the way, you look beautiful too from across the room:)

Fullmer Family said...

Well one thing I learned today? Don't look at a picture Erin posts entitled "shower" because it will inevitably lead me to dry-heave...Yuck! Ha ha...I'm sure that urge to dry-heave won't leave me anytime soon. Lol. Have a fun conference.

Iain said...

I've learnt that I need to attend a conference.
When I do, I'm going to take a picture of you, approach agents, show them the pic and say "My blogger friend Erin says you should sign me."
I'll also make sure that I don't flash them my hot pink bra :o|
I hope you three have loads of fun. I can't wait to hear how great it was.

i'm erin. said...

Tirzah, I seriously dry heaved when I uploaded today!

Iain, it will work wonders. I'm sure. Already the agents I've talked to want to talk to me about my friends. Sigh.

Precy Larkins said...

I've never been to a conference (I've two young kids). But your list is hilarious (and gross on that hair pic. I mean...wow. eek. yek.)

If ever I should go, I'm snagging you, even if you weren't attending.

And oh, btw, now that it's cold, I miss Hawaii too. :(

i'm erin. said...

Cherie, I love that you miss hawaii. We were meant to be besties.

DEZMOND said...

OMG, Erin, you devil, we so did not NEED to see that horrid hair picture :)

Sara B. Larson said...

Oh man, I forgot to sign up for that conference. (Why didn't you remind me! #erinfail! ;) ) But I guess it's probably for the best, since baby girl and I are both sick. Bummer. Hope you have a great time. BTW, my friends all tend to get book deals, so you should stick with me and you're bound to have a good year. ;)

Author A.O. Peart said...

Awesome post, Erin. I was laughing so hard about your conference comments! I have to ask -- are those dreadlocks real? Yikes.

Next time I want to go to a conference with you, girl. If I can find an agent that easily then it's no-brainer :-)

Alexis Bass said...

I never, never understand when people show up at conferences dressed as a character from one of their books. Jumping the gun a bit, if you ask me. :)

Shallee said...

Ha! Love these tips. :) I'm jealous that you got to go to the conference! I'm sure it was awesome. I've gone to a few conferences before, and there's nothing better.

keishkaylaaazzalea@gmail.com said...



Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Pengobatan Tumor Bibir Atas Dan Bawah
Obat Herbal Pembangkit Gairah Pria
Obat Alami Nyeri Sendi Dan Tulang Yang Aman
Obat Alami Hiperemesis Gravidarum
Obat Alternatif Ginjal Bocor Anak Dan Dewasa
Vitamin Yang Dapat Mencegah Penuaan Dini
Obat Pembakar Lemak Tercepat
Obat Diabetes Tanpa Efek Samping