Monday, October 10, 2011

secret 10 of 100

My mom is really my biological mom. 

Seventh grade was a beastly year for me. I was chubby and I lived in Hawaii where all the kids at my school were brown or haole (Hawaiian slang for a white person. Take for instance my mom.) Since I shied away from confrontation like my kids hide when it's time to clean the bathroom, I was also teased a lot. I hated that. 

One day during math, I felt feverish. My teacher sent me to wait in the office for my mom.

When she arrived the brown girl beside me asked,"Eh, who dat? Your auntie?" 
This particular girl was the queen beast of seventh grade, and I didn't care for her. She teased me on a regular basis. I didn't want her making fun of me for having such a ghost-white mom. 
So I said, "No. She's my step-mom." 
And she believed me.  

I admit I was spineless. Not claiming my mother was a terrible thing to do. So I'm setting the record straight. My secret, one I've carried for so many years is that haole woman in the photo with me and my sisters is really, truly, my mom. 

Have you ever lied about something big in your life to save face? Or told a little lie? Any lie at all?
Don't leave me hanging. I want to hear your little secret too.

13 SPLURTS:

A. said...

lol - I remember this!

Since my mom had me later in life, I remember lying and saying she was grandma (since the kdis were already askign me if she was, and saying she was my mom rendered much teasing). Oy! kids are awful! haha (my day is coming, I just know it!)

Sara B. Larson said...

Um, yes. Not about my mom. But I have the best story about pretending to be deaf and dumb like Helen Keller when I was in 4th grade. You'll have to ask me to tell it you some time. ;)

Jessie Humphries said...

I once told a writing friend (that I was staying with after a conference) that I cleaned up all the dog poop off the stairs, but really I put it in her pillow case!

Precy Larkins said...

Ah, Hawaii!

Mine's not a big lie, but while I was riding the bus down Kamehameha, this little girl started tallking to me in Pidgin. I did NOT understand a thing she was saying so I nodded a lot and pretended to be interested. I just hope I wasn't agreeing to something naughty.

CJ Hill said...

I lied all the time as a kid (Writers are allowed to bend the truth, right?) I told one girl that I lived near her because I wanted to walk home with her. (I lived in the opposite direction.) I don't even remember all the whoppers I made up. I do remember telling someone I'd just met that my parents were divorced because that was way less awkward than explaining that my mother had died.

Abby Fowers said...

Cute family.

Ok- one time I lied to a boy I liked in high school. He finally started liking me back! Well, we hung out one night then he asked me to do something the next night. I already had a date. I didn't want to tell him so I LIED. Eek. Well, the double date ended up at my house where everyone was chillin' and cute boy showed up at the door to visit me while I was stuck at home for whatever reason I lied about. UGH! I still hate thinking about that night. It didn't go over well.

Kristine said...

I have the conscience of a little girl, so I'll admit I haven't lied much. Especially as a kid because I was the worst at it. Everyone always knew I was lying if I tried.

DEZMOND said...

a touching story, Erin, and it seems like you have a lovely family!

Iain said...

I have never lied at all ever. (apart from just now) ;o)

Alleged Author said...

Awww. I once lied to my friend that my dad was dead because he wasn't in my life at the time(I think I was seven). :(

i'm erin. said...

Oh my gosh Iain! Hilarious.

Alleged Author, that makes me cry and laugh.

Sara, seriously, we need to talk.

Cherie, you are my motherland girl!

CJ...ha ha ha...i love you.

Abby, that makes me cringe!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Dang you guys are cute! I sometimes lie about how much I like a book cover. Especially when I'm talking to an agent.

Brekke said...

I should be confessing this on my blog, not yours. When I was about 7 or 8 (old enough to know better) I found my kid brothers toy golf club, which for no real reason, I used to dent up my moms beloved rocking chair. I had forgotten this event until later in the day when I saw my kid brother on said rocking chair being scolded for using the club to dent up said chair. He was in tears and denying with all sincerity he had done it, but as a kid prone to mischief, they did not believe him. Now, I, seeing this scene, could have done the right thing, but I didn't. I turned and walked out of the room, thankful that it wasn't me in that chair.

To this day, I feel the guilt. I apologized to my brother (many many years later) and he laughed, he had forgotten the event entirely, but I don't think I ever could. I STILL feel guilty and want so badly for my child self to do the right thing. Oh, the hard lessons we learn.