Tuesday, May 11, 2010

For that which I would risk my life.

On Friday, I was late! And as you know that's a compulsory thing for me; however, when it comes to a photo shoot, I am always on time (Okay, 99% of the time). So when I was already five minutes late and the dude sitting in the truck two cars ahead of me slams on his breaks in the middle of State Street, of course I might swear under my breath. But I didn't. I just smiled and swerved around him.


As I pulled alongside Mr. Truck, I realized why he'd stopped. Just feet from the threat of his tires was a tiny charcoal kitten. My bleeding heart leapt in my chest, and panic flooded me. The kitten was headed across four lanes of traffic (two northbound and two southbound).

Like Mr. Truck, I slammed on my breaks and allowed the kitten to pass. But with horror I realized the kitten's death was sure to come. Just a half mile down the road the next stop light turned green and on-coming traffic approached at a sickening pace.

Without thinking, I flipped a U-turn on State Street, cutting across all lanes of traffic. I threw the van into park on the opposite side of the road (the side that the baby kitten was headed) and flung my door open. With one hand I motioned for the on-coming cars to stop, while using my other hand to honk the horn like a mad-woman. The cars in the lane nearest slowed. But beyond that lane, a semi-truck barreled down State Street headed right toward the tiny kitten padding its way across the road.

I panicked. The kitten's imminent death flashing in my mind. I didn't stop to think past that.

And I ran straight onto State Street. Holding my hands up, as if that might stop a Semi. But maybe it was luck on my side, or Heavenly Father watching over me, but the semi stopped in time. I reached down and picked up that kitten.

Or so I tried.

That damn kitten ran from me after I risked my life to save it! I chased after it for a half second and pounced on it. As I returned to the side of the road, with the little gray furball clutched to my chest, car after car passed with a thumbs up and a wave. It took at least an hour for the pounding beat of my heart to slow. You know, risking your life and all can really kick your adrenaline into overdrive.

And now, I present to you the newest member of our family:

State Street (Lizzy) Summerill



20 SPLURTS:

Kayleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayleen said...

CUTE!

Sara B. Larson said...

You jumped in front of a semi for a kitten??!?! I love animals, and baby ones especially, but not more than my life! I'm glad you and the kitten are okay. Sheesh. SS Lizzy is pretty darn cute. ;-)

Fullmer Family said...

That is awesome! What a lucky little kitten.

JoMamma said...

I'm so glad you and your kitten are safe. She is adorable!

Kristine said...

So stinking cute!

Lindsey said...

This made me laugh so hard!--probably because I can see the whole thing in my head.
And she's adorable. Thanks for that.

missionary mama said...

love those eyes! great job MOmmy for saving the Kitty.

Ella said...

she is cute!!!

Peggy said...

I can totally picture you doing that, Erin. You're one crazy girl. TOTALLY picture it. And what a cute kitty you got out of the deal!

Nikki said...

You're a TRUE hero! What a cute kitty.

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

You're a rock star and the kitty is beautiful!

Melony said...

I knew she was cute the day you showed up with her at our photo shoot, but man! She takes a great picture! LOL...my kids are gonna freak when they see this.."MOMMMMM!!! We wanted that kitten!"

Weight Family said...

Aw, SO cute!

Bobbi said...

You ARE a mad woman!!! Crazy lucky is what you are!!! Cute kitty, btw.

Asenath said...

Erin, I love you.

But learn from my mother: you start with one cute, adorable, precious kitten, and then before you know it you have 5 cats who sit on the porch waiting to be fed every night...

:)

Finn and Tracey Family said...

THAT IS CRAZY!!! finn would think you are crazy but i think you are a hero. scary to think what could of happened!!!!

so cute!

Luke said...

This is so cute! Haha

Marcie said...

Adorable kitten but Mike would have gotten mad at me for swerving let alone getting out of the car and pouncing! Glad you both are safe. :)

A. said...

Oh my gosh Erin! I could totally see you doing this. You are a crazy lady! The kitten is adorable though.