Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Hairy Beast Prayers

Bubba, my beast of of black lab, fell off the kids slide today. I was ripped away from my computer to the sound of high pitched yelping.
Henry flew through the back door screaming, "Mom, mom, Bubba's hurt. Bubba's hurt."

"What? What's going on?" I yelled out in frantic mom voice.

"Bubba fell off the slide."

"What? What do you mean he fell of the slide?"

Then all my kids, the neighbor kids, and the cousins started yelling at once. Though it did little to mask Bubba's yelping from the back yard.
"He climbed up."
"He fell on his side."
"He tried to jump the slide."
"He hit the slide with his tummy."
"Mom, he's hurt bad."

I pushed past the yelling kids, toward Bubba. Seeing me, he hobbled and yelped, with his big brown sad Bubba eyes, right to me. Henry, with tears pooling, stood to the side softly stroking Bubba's massive head. Seeing him and the others, now deadly quiet, pricked at my heart. Here they were all so scared and concerned for our lab.

I didn't know what to do.

I ran my hand a long the side of Bubba's lifted paw. He whimpered.
I patted his back and tried to sooth him.

"Mom," Henry said in such a small voice. "Is he going to die?"

"No." I hope not. "I don't think so bud. I think he's just really hurt."

"Mom," George's eyes were wide with fear. "Should we say a prayer?"

"Yes, George. Yes, that's exactly what we should do."

Then and there, in the dust and dirt that marks the entry from the garage to the back yard, we all folded our arms and prayed.

Within minutes, Bubba seized the opportunity that I was knelt down next to him. He jumped on me, abandoning his whimpering for a high-energy tail wag. After pushing the hairy beast off, I watched him run back to the yard, with out so much as a limp.

I guess prayers for hairy beasts really do work.

16 SPLURTS:

Pop said...

He is not well trained, culturally or otherwise, he's picked up a few bad habits that are annoying, yet with his wicked tail, he whips your shins and you know it hurts, though uninvited, he shows up at our front door waiting for someone to let him in, as soon as the door opens, he rushes in for a drink of water, he spies any ray of light, laser or otherwise and wants to pounce on it with his two front paws, he leans his massive body on you to get your attention and wants to be pet on the head and neck, he's the one and only "Bubba Dog."

Nikki said...

Awww. I love the comment from Dad.

I'm glad Bubba's okay now. But I'm a little confused. Maybe it's the meds here in the hospital fogging my brain. Anyhow, your dog knows how to go down the slide?

JoMamma said...

Your boys are so sweet to think of praying at a time like that. I love how when we don't know what to do Heavenly Father does. I'm glad he is alright

Brooke said...

What a wonderful faith inducing experience for your kids! And I love that he proved them right! :) Yay!

Shayleen Lunt said...

What a cute story. I guess God uses "Hair Beasts" to strengthen little testimonies too.

Honey and Hotstuff said...

Thanks for that! I needed that story! (sniff sniff- brings tears to ones eyes) The faith of little ones never ceases to amaze me!

Peggy said...

Awww. And then awww some more.

tina said...

How sweet. I love it when youngsters remember that we should pray! :)

Nick and Emily said...

what a cute story. it really did bring tears to my eyes. and then i remembered that we were talking about bubba as he pawed your face to death and i had a nostalgic moment of remembrance, in which the tears all went completely away. Even though i'm still glad he's ok.

Marcie said...

Thanks for the laugh- gotta love your stories!

Kayleen Feil Photography said...

ahhhhh sweet! thanks for sharing!

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

Totally crying here...isn't it amazing the faith little children have, and what a sweet miracle the Lord gave to your family to show the power of prayer. Thanks for sharing :) -Tiffany

Carterista said...

I love answered prayers. Does Bubba need a buddy anytime soon? Maybe then he'd have something to do besides resorting to dare-devil stunts.

Haley Hale said...

What a sweet story! I am totally tearing up here...

malleygirl said...

Erin! I came across your blog by way of Bobbies blog! I love blog surfing! Your family is so cute! You are so cute! It is nice to see what your up to!

big8smiley said...

What a cute little testimony of prayers! I'm sure that was a great booster for him! Cute. :)