Wednesday, October 17, 2012

not my usual read: On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

I like to stay in the shallow end of the pool. I really only like to go out to dinner at the Olive Garden. And I only read young adult.

That's just who I am. (I'd say, "take it or leave it," but I think I have a few friends that might just drop me like a soggy fry. So take me as I am.)

The thing is, I almost never read anything that isn't strictly young adult fiction. Earlier this summer I had a few friends insist that I read On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. 

After a restless night, I figured why not. I downloaded the book from Amazon and read from 12:30 to 3:45 am, stopping only because I knew I had to get up in a few hours to teach an aerobics class. But I didn't spare any time after the class to finish the book.

I loved it.

I more than loved it. I thought it was witty and emotionally charged and brilliant and everything I wish I could write (aside from some of the um, well, steamy scenes. That's not my usual MO.)

So, I say, if you're ok with some serious steaminess and my complete lack of grammar when professing book love, check out:


Summary:
When thirty-year-old English teacher Anna Emerson is offered a job tutoring T.J. Callahan at his family's summer rental in the Maldives, she accepts without hesitation; a working vacation on a tropical island trumps the library any day. T.J. Callahan has no desire to leave town, not that anyone asked him. He's almost seventeen and if having cancer wasn't bad enough, now he has to spend his first summer in remission with his family - and a stack of overdue assignments - instead of his friends.

Anna and T.J. are en route to join T.J.'s family in the Maldives when the pilot of their seaplane suffers a fatal heart attack and crash-lands in the Indian Ocean. Adrift in shark-infested waters, their life jackets keep them afloat until they make it to the shore of an uninhabited island.

Now Anna and T.J. just want to survive and they must work together to obtain water, food, fire, and shelter. Their basic needs might be met but as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.'s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.


Read anything good lately? Steamy or not?

12 SPLURTS:

Jennie Bennett said...

Well if you liked it.. j/k I think it sounds really good! Thanks for the rec :)

Angela Cothran said...

I've heard good things about it, but on a scale of 1-10 how steamy is it?

David P. King said...

You had me at Olive Garden (food, what can I say?).

I can't say I've read much steamy stuff, but you have excellent taste. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jaime Morrow said...

I've heard about this one before, but I'm not sure if it's for me. I don't mind reading steamy stuff, but I'm not usually into reading books where cancer factors in (been through that in my personal life and tend to avoid it in my reading). That being said, I do need to try and wade out of the shallow end from time to time and read something other than YA. ;)

Rachelle Christensen said...

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I can get over the whole 30 year old falling for a 17 year old, but it must've worked?
I tagged you today on my blog and I sure hope you'll let me know when you answer cuz I want to know what you're working on! http://rachellewrites.blogspot.com/

Angela Brown said...

That was certainly an interesting blurb. Now I did read Mistress of the Stone, by Maria Zannini, and it had some great steamy scenes. It also had undead beings, pirates and were-animals. So without the steamy, I still LURVED the story.

Glad you enjoyed this one :-)

Jessie Humphries said...

I loved every single scene of this book (except for the baby oil one)! Haha. I'd say there's 2-3 scenes with a steam factor of 6-7, but nothing crazy! Except for the baby oil of course ;).

i'm erin. said...

Angela C, like a 9. Seriously.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

This sounds like more of what I have been working on reading. Adding it to the to read list, but apparently not to be started when I have anything else to do :)

Unknown said...

I love young adult books.... have you read Divergent? What about Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan?

Erin Apelu said...

I love this book. I got it for free this summer & couldn't put it down. I too thought the age difference seemed awkward, but once you start reading it you realize it's not weird at all. After her success online, her book has been re-published the traditional way. It was a little steamy, but I've read worse.

keishkaylaaazzalea@gmail.com said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Kurang Tidur Dapat Sebabkan Diabetes Dan Obesitas
Batu Empedu Datang Setelah Melahirkan? Ini Penyebabnya
Cara Alami Membuat Luka Caesar Cepat Sembuh
Sayuran Mengandung Serat Tinggi Baik Bagi Penderita Wasir
Buah Buahan Yang Mengandung Banyak Antioksidan
Manfaat Perawatan Susu Bagi Kesehatan Kulit Wajah Anda