Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reading update - Cinderella and Cyborgs?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer




My Take: 
This is the book I wanted to write, I should've wrote, but didn't write. And you know what, I'm glad. I'm estatic, in fact, because Marissa Meyer did it way better than I ever could. Her imagination must keep her up at night. 
Cinder's plot twists and hooks kept me reading from start to finish. I couldn't put the book down, and now I'm drooling for more. It's a fantastic twisted fairytale with a Sci-Fi depth that has me wanting to dig into the next installment. 


What They Said: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl... Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future. (www.goodreads.com)


You Shouldn't read this if: 
You're absolutely intolerant of anyone with a prosthetic. 
You can't handle the awesomeness of a writer that would combine a fairytale with futuristic Sci-Fi-ness, Cyborgs, Mind control, and creepy, beautiful women.
You're illiterate. For obvious reasons.  

19 SPLURTS:

Amanda Olivieri said...

Gah, I keep hearing amazing things about this book! I have to say, it doesn't immediately appeal to me, but...everyone says it's so good! I might have to cave and just read it :)

Iain said...

Do you think I'll get away with a bit of plagiarism when I write my pantomime?

Cristina said...

uh, that sounds really interesting and not something that I'd normally read.. BUT you made it sound like I have to read it.. and so I'll add it to my TBR pile :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

This book sounds SO GOOD!

And your "You shouldn't read this if:" made me laugh out loud.

Katie Dodge said...

I need to read this! Thanks for the review!

David P. King said...

I felt the same way about Tangled. I had planned to do a retelling of Rapunzel that was VERY similar to the way they went about it. At least there are other retellings I have that no ones thought of yet. :)

Glad you enjoyed Cinders!

Precy Larkins said...

I still need to read this. I've been eyeing this since I heard about it before its release.

As always, your reviews are awesome! ;)

Angela Cothran said...

Augh! I knew my prosthetic prejudice was going to bite me in the butt! Darn it :)

LOVE the author bomb pictures on Peggy's blog. You are so FUNNY!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Bummer. I'm illiterate. Maybe next year!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I love your reasons why you might not want to read it! Your sense of humor made my afternoon, Roland

Jennie Bennett said...

I always love your book reviews, you make me laugh!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like your reasons at the end!

Leigh Covington said...

Your reasons not to read this are fantastic. You always make me laugh. This book sounds too awesome. I must read it. Like now! Hmmm - maybe amazon misses me!

Janet Johnson said...

I love your "You Shouldn't Read This If" addendum. You make me laugh (frog voice and all) ;)

This book sounds awesome. I NEED to read it!

Shallee said...

This sounds totally awesome! Thanks for sharing it, Erin.

And I forgot to tell you at LTUE...you crack me up. :)

Angela Brown said...

Checking you out, Erin! Glad to follow back because you are some serious coolness.

I've been debating whether or not to read Cinder. I've heard so much about it. I think I just may have to check it out, cause, you know, I do okay in the literacy area and I think I could handle a prosthetic or three...or four or five, I think. Yeah, I could :-)

i'm erin. said...

Angela Brown! You made my day. I'm so excited you're here.

Donna K. Weaver said...

What an awesome combination of genres! This is so going on my to-read list.

It was fun meeting you in person at LTUE. I love those pictures Peggy posted.

Jessica G. said...

I have GOT to read this book…it feels like my life story! LOL