Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I have a friend who is a florist.

I have a friend who works part-time as a florist except for the first couple weeks in February. During that time she's full-time or over-time.
When I asked her what she thought boys should buy their sweethearts on Valentine's Day, her response was, "Absolutely nothing."
Her reasoning being that everything is too over-priced. If someone knows you love them, then they'll know you love them the next day when you buy the same bouquet of flowers or box of chocolates for half price.

And if you're asking me, I would want the boy who went with the latter. It shows he's smart, frugal, and still cares. 

Do you agree?

If you don't, that's cool (...or not...whatever, I'm not judging). But I think we can take something more from this. If you disagree with me, than it's safe to say that what some people see as cheap or uncaring, others see as smart, well-planned and reasonable. 

I recently read a novel where the main male character did not hold my interest. I thought he was boring, action-less, and a little too flowery. My friend, however, loved the main character. 

When I first started writing I was too concerned at making my character likable by all readers. But what I've found is that's impossible. If we want to create characters as real as our own friends, than it's safe to assume there are going to be personality conflicts with some readers. Hopefully not all (wink).

What characteristics do you like to see in a main character?

15 SPLURTS:

prerna pickett said...

Your sweetheart shouldn't show he/she loves you on one set date of the year. It should be a year round thing. Personally, I think flowers are a waste of money. I have several rose bushes in my garden, so I just clip those during the summer if I REALLY want some pretty to brighten up the house.

Kristine said...

I'm with you about the flowers the next day. I don't like the feeling someone feels forced or required to spend more on a specific day just to show they care.

What do I like in a main character? CLEVERNESS. Even if they aren't the strongest or most agile, if they are clever, they can do even more. I don't feel I'm the most clever person, so when I read a book about a character that is, I'm more drawn to them and fascinated by he stunts they pull off and ideas they come up with. Cinna in Hunger Games, for example.

David P. King said...

I admit spending a little extra than normal this year, but in the long run, it's cheaper than hiring babysitters and paying overpriced dinners at ultra crowded restaurants. What can be more romantic than a subtle bouquet, some chocolates, and burgers at home? :)

Jay Noel said...

Unless a woman tells a man explicitly, coherently, and honestly to NOT get something on February 14th, then he MUST get her something on February 14th.

I love reading a book where I dislike the character, actually. I think if an author can pull that off, that's TRUE mastery.

The Dixon Family said...

I'm so with you on this one. Why should we let companies dictate what we want and when we want it? When Seth surprises me with something and it's not a holiday, that's when I feel the most special.

I love funny characters, especially if the humor is a little dry.

Leigh Covington said...

I agree. We really can't make a main character likeable for everyone. We all have different taste. I like strong, charming, smart and maybe a little dangerous :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Nice tie-in!

I definitely like my MCs to DO THINGS. Make decisions and live with the consequences. Not just sit around and wait for things to happen to them. ACT!

But of course, that's just me. :)

Anonymous said...

I tell my husband not to buy me any flowers, but he always comes home with at least one.

About main characters, if you make them real, with quirks and depth, then I think they are likeable.

Chelsea said...

I think that it's all about the couple. I was actually pretty spoiled and LOVED the roses that I received on Valentines Day, however, if my husband gave them to me today instead I really wouldn't care. It would just show that he's a smart boy.

Jennie Bennett said...

Half-priced sales are the best. And I love someone who is strong enough to stick to their own morals and fight for them. Otherwise just think they're weak.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Totally see where you're coming from, but I'd like to get the flowers on the actual holiday. It's like getting Christmas presents on the 26th just cuz they're cheaper... plan ahead of time if you want to save money! (And coupon, lol)

I really like competent characters, and characters with an unusual quirk--things you don't see every day, or that you never thought of.

Elana Johnson said...

Excellent post! I think I like male MC's who aren't afraid of girls. Or of making their girlfriends act like decent human beings. Or something. Not really sure... Ha!

Janet Johnson said...

Honestly, I like to see common sense! Perhaps not as exciting, but it sure makes me like them. :)

JoMamma said...

I like a man with his shirt off and a candy cane... You can delete this after you laugh.

Sara B. Larson said...

I used to adore Valentines Day, but now I am not so much into the whole thing. It's fun, and I especially love making it fun for my kids, but yeah--the overpriced, commercialized side of it? Not my thing. Maybe if I was loaded with moolah. ;) Great comparison though--people don't all like the same characters. It's impossible. Can't wait to see what you've been working on recently! :D