Monday, November 07, 2011

secret 14 of 100

Sometimes the crap hits the fan. (Not the secret, just fact of life.)


For me, this happened last week. My awesome hubby got laid off. (Also not the secret, at least not mine.)

That's part of why I was MIA for days. Frankly, that stress plus a few of my own insecurities led me into a bit of a downward spiral. It took quite a few nudges from some great writing buddies to see the bright side of things.
It was during a conversation with Jessie from B-Word that I remembered an old motto of mine.
When I was eleven, I was pudgy, kids made fun of me, and I lived on an Air Force Base in California. Back then, each home had a plaque with the resident's name and rank posted on an exterior wall.
After a bad day at school, I needed some escape. I went on a bike ride with my sister and friend. I loved to read last names. Two blocks from my home, a name plaque made me stop in my tracks.

Crap.

Yep, that's right. The last name of the unfortunate family was Crap. Right then and there I adopted a new motto. Life could be worse, I could be a Crap.
That motto got me through a particularly sucky year of middle school. My sister and I came up with lots of Crap jokes, and just passing by the house left me gasping in laughter. Now that I think about it, it's kind of horrible for me to make fun of people as unfortunate as the Craps.
So I suppose you could say my secret is: I sometimes lift myself by poking fun of others.
Or on a more positive note, my secret could be: I'm doing great this week because at least I'm not a Crap!

26 SPLURTS:

Robyn said...

Erin, I love you! You, of all the people I know, will always be able to get through whatever life throws at you. You are amazing, talented, kind, and enviously awesome! Sorry about the lay-off, that sucks, but I know that you know everything happens for a reason! Love you guys! (And, I really, really miss you!)

A. said...

This time of year makes a layoff seem even worse. I'm sorry. I guess another bright side is that Mark can put full efforts towards that dentistry goal as well as spend more time with the family. You two are such hardworkers, and I know you'll come out on the other side looking and feeling better than Crap.

(sidenote: I went to school with a guy with the last name Butts. i didn't think that was such a great name to have either. lol)

i'm erin. said...

ha ha! Amy, that made my day. At least I'm not one of the butts.

Emily R. King said...

You're such a dear! My husband was laid off last year and it was rough, no lie. But you've got the right attitude. Life goes on, and thankfully, there's so much more to life than having a job. Way to look on the bright side! You definitely aren't crap. : )

Iain said...

This post is crap!
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Sorry to hear things aren't too good at the moment.
When things get a bit rubbish, my view is:
The law of averages says that things will even out over time. Therefore all this bad stuff will have an equal amount of great stuff to come to balance it out :o)

Jennie Bennett said...

Oh gosh Erin, I feel for you! I couldn't imagine going through that! I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason, and your post about not getting your dream house seems like it fits hand in hand with this one. Hang in there and I'm sure everything will work out for the best. What does your husband do? Maybe we could help you with the job hunt :) Great motto, BTW ^_^

Aubrey said...

Oh my goodness Erin! I seriously need to get down there and spend some time with you! I miss you so much and love you so so much!

I hope your photography etc. will at least help ease the burden.

Love you TONS!

Cassie Mae said...

I'm so sorry. I've gone through that experience way more times than I'd like to remember, always around this time of year as well. Don't worry though, these things always seem to work out for the best.

And I personally would love a crap name. No one would ever forget it! Lol.

Nikky C. said...

My favorite motto is from Mike Rowe, 'Dirty Jobs', "You either have to laugh or throw up." ..I would like that one gold stitched on a white pillow.
And as the old cliche goes, this too shall pass. You guys will bounce back in no time! :)

Abby Fowers said...

LOL! Erin, it's hard to imagine you ever having a "down" day because you are always so fun and inspiring. I'm glad you're feeling better. And don't tell anyone... but I sometimes make fun of people too. hehe. At least if they have the last name, "Crap." That would suck.

Cristina said...

yikes, sorry about the husband's job!

I did enjoy your Crap story :)

I think if my last name was Crap.. or Butts.. I would change it for sure.

Sara B. Larson said...

I'm so sorry about the layoff. We know all about having our income suddenly yanked out from under us and it sucks. If you ever need to vent or cry or yell about how at least you aren't a "crap" I'm here for you. *hugs*

prerna pickett said...

I'm having one of those days. My hubby still has a job, but looking at my bank account causes heart palipitations and tears. At least we're not the only ones in that boat. Most of the country is suffering similar symptoms thanks to the recession.

Brekke said...

Erin. You are awesome. Just saying. And sometimes, I think we lived the same childhood in different states, oh and I wasn't a stalker. And anytime you need it, I'm there with Brekkecakes. I'll even take requests.

Peggy Eddleman said...

This is so my new motto.

Jessie Humphries said...

Oh Erin, you are going to look back at this little moment of time and laugh and say, "Remember when I wasnt a totally rich New York Times Best Selling author?" And I'll say, "Yeah, that last foreign rights deal alone would have paid for your dream house you thought was out of reach!"

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Oh dear, I hope it all works out. What field does Husband work in? Maybe I'll hear of something.

Jenny S. Morris said...

You made me frown, and guffow in one post. I know it sucks. My hubby's place of business closed a few years back and he had to switch jobs right before Christmas. Things will get better, and your attitude is great. I may have to borrow your motto sometime.

DEZMOND said...

is fresh crap better than the stale one? :)

Jo said...

You were NEVER pudgy!

Rachelle Christensen said...

Erin--I love this post! You are hilarious. I'm sorry to hear about your crappy news, though. I'm thinking of you.
And I can't resist telling you that there was a teacher in my elementary school named Ms. Butkis--not lying!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I'm sorry about the layoff. Hang in there. Things happen for a reason and I know everything will work out. If you need anything, let me know! :)
And you are totally right. At least you aren't a Crap! LOL Hilarious.

Melissa said...

Erin, I know the uncomfortable gut feelings as our family has traveled similar roads in the past. One thing is for certain: We always have been blessed with something even better. Sometimes an extra hard shove in the uncertain but right direction is all it takes to make it to the next level.

Side note: My husband works in South Jordan for another MLM called LifeVantage. They are young and prospering and are building the corporate side of their business. If he is looking for something before making any dental school plans more concrete, they may have a position that fits his skills and pay range.

JoMamma said...

Oh that sucks. let me know if I can do anything.

Now onto my bad last name Toby's cousins decided to take their adopted father's last name of barfuss.

Love you

Taffy said...

That's awesome! Love your motto and love that you made it up to help yourself.
You go girl!

i'm erin. said...

Wow Melissa, thanks so much for the tip! I really appreciate it.