Friday, November 18, 2011

friday five.

There once was a writer who forgot how to laugh--
Too many hours by the computer and none in the bath.
While she edited on her own her heart felt pierced,
for she missed times with friends because she stank something fierce.

Of course, this poem isn't about me--I smell just fine, 
It's just I got to thinking, how I write all the time,
And days by my laptop mean there are five things I miss,
Just like the other lonely-girl-writer with the terrible pits.

Friday Five: Things Writers (or Hermits) Miss
When you think of old friends, does your throat form a lump?
It's probably 'cause you've gone too long without a chest bump.

Or maybe like "Putty" from Seinfeld you crave,
A high-five from something other than your cat, Dave.

Stuck in a scene can make you feel down on writing luck,
It's time to call a friend and see a movie that may or may not suck,

If that's not your thing, then a night out to dinner is what you need,  
There's no place like the Olive Garden because there you're like family.
If you're lonely, maybe stinky, and feeling at your wit's end,
What you're probably missing most is a game of Words With Friends!

My question to you is what do you miss?
If you had three extra hours a day what would be on your list?

24 SPLURTS:

Amanda Olivieri said...

Ha! Love this. It's like you're reading my mind (especially with Breaking Dawn and Words with Friends! Except for me, it's Hanging with Friends :) So...if I had 3 extra hours a day I would probably try to get in some physical movement of some sort. Desk job + writing = constantly sitting! And perhaps more sleep--lots of late nights around here :)

Cristina said...

is it sad that I would probably try to get more writing and reading in???

WilyBCool said...

I like it! Following ;D

Thank you for your comment and for the follow.

Kewell blog.

Emily R. King said...

I'd like to watch more reality TV. Top Chef is my fav!

Abby Fowers said...

LOL! You are so awesome! I love your Friday Five. 3 hours... hmmm... time with kids. And I don't think you have tourets. Honestly - the twilight movies suck, but I can't help but have to go see them! LOL. I'm such a nerd! I'm just so excited for a girls day! Whoo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Sleep... or wait, maybe cleaning, or maybe spending time with my family, or writing....oh I don't know. It would just be another tree hours to find out what to do!

Cute poem by the way!

Jolene Perry said...

I might actually get a full night's sleep . . .

Angela Cothran said...

"May or may not suck"--I don't want to ruin it for you, but it was...

Jess said...

I love that guy from Seinfeld :) Thanks for putting together the fun poem! I would probably spend more time cooking. I love trying out recipes, but don't get to take my time very often. Following you back!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sleep!
Probably computer games. And more writing.

Unknown said...

I would play barbies with my daughter and build a train track with my boys. And maybe cook a meal for once in my life :)

JoMamma said...

I want to sleep more. Yes if I had extra time I would use it to sleep. How lame is that.

DEZMOND said...

in those three additional hours, I wouldn't let someone special from my arms :)

Tara Tyler said...

i love your rhyming friday five!
and some good advice on the side =)

Melissa Sarno said...

Hi Erin, thanks for stopping by my blog. :) This is hilarious! If I had more time in the day, I would READ. For sure.

Jennie Bennett said...

All of thee above, except I am going to see Twilight tomorrow :) we should play WWF sometime when a day opens up, bahahaha.

Jenny S. Morris said...

Erin you ALWAYS make me laugh. I hope that girl takes care of her pits.

If I had 3 more hours in the day right now, I'd spend 1 watching iCarly with my son. (I don't know why, but that's our show.) And the other 2 snuggled with my hubby watching some hot girl, kick someone's butt. ;)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Come hang out tonight! We'll meet, chest bump, go to the OG, high-five, then play words with friends while we're waiting for BD to start. Seriously. Let's go.

Iain said...

I miss your rhyme
Glad you found the time.
This entry was fun
and now I'm not glum :o)

Alexis Bass said...

Love this! Yes, definitely more time to write, read, and socialize with friends. OH and go to the theater. (Should have probably said 'clean the house' too but OH WELL) :)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Erin, I LOVE your poem. Made me laugh out loud!

Oh, with three extra hours...I'd read. But, that will have to wait till after my play.

Thanks so much for your visits and comments. See you in December!

McKenzie McCann said...

If I had three extra hours, I would sleep. Seriously. Between school, writing, blogging, and homework, I don't have time for much else. Not even sleep.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I love this. Three hours to myself would be spent in the bath with a book :-)

Katie Dodge said...

I'm loving your poetry! And I would fit more writing in, since that's what I do without most days.