Tuesday, October 04, 2011

writing inspiration - robbed

2:12 am
Rosie, my great Pyrenees, howled just outside my bedroom door. I jerked awake, my heart racing. A couple foreign noises sounded in the night outside my house, and Rosie reacted with non-stop, ear-splitting barks. Mark hurried out of bed, and took Rosie to the back yard.

2:12 am
After she settled down, he brought her back in. Mark, unable to fall asleep, curled up on the couch in the front room. The light pouring through the open window shutters annoyed him. He walked to the window to close the shutters.

2:13 am
The shadow of two people beside our van, parked in the driveway, grabbed his focus. It took him a second to register that these people were taking something from our van. They were robbing us. Mark freaked. No matter that he was wearing just his undies, he tore out of the house and yelled at the burglars. They took off running.


2:14 am
In the other room, Mark's yell gave me a coronary. I jumped out of bed just as he came crashing into the room to pull on pants. In the blink of an eye he was in the van and sailing down the road to catch the crooks.
I was speechless. Did someone really just try to rob me?

2:15 am
I called the police.

2:18 am
Mark came back empty handed. The thieves got away with a backpack and dvds. Devils. I hope they watch Tangled in hell.

2:20 am
The police arrived. Apparently one should never chase two burglars alone. Next time we'll try to remember that.

3:30 am
Still awake. I figured there was no better time to write. Laptop open, I finished a scene that had been giving me trouble all week. Now it's better. It's awesome. I guess being ripped from my sleep isn't all that bad since it inspired me to write.

Writing Inspiration -

  1. Usually if I can't sleep I pull out a book. But why not write? 
  2. When do you write? 
  3. Have you ever written in the middle of the night? And if so, was it pure crap the next day, or was it freaking awesome?
Please, I want to know. Because last night was a first for me. And I kind of liked it.

14 SPLURTS:

Alleged Author said...

I write whenever I don't have work to do. That means I *maybe* get one hour in. If only I could wake up early and write then my life would be easier!

Melony said...

Write?? What's that?

Author A.O. Peart said...

OMG, how could you even concentrate on writing after a robbery attempt? Yikes, that's a scary story. Good think you weren't alone, girl.

I normally sleep a lot and don't wake up at night. On rare occasions, if I have too much coffee I stay up late and write. Yes, I love to write when I can't sleep. Or I read :-)

Alexis Bass said...

That is a highly entertaining night. However, I am very sorry to hear you lost Tangles.

I am always a better writer at night, not sure why, but I think it has to do with the pressure - like the looming deadline of 'you need to go to sleep if you're going to function at work' clears my head.

Brekke said...

Before I was married and had children I used to write in the middle of the night. My best work always came between 2-4AM. Now i am married and have four children, and I am too tired to write.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Oh wow, I hope everything is okay. That would scare. And props to the hub for running outside in his underwear.

I never write at night--morning is when my brain works best. I get sleepy at 9:30 and tend to conk out until the alarm goes off... but if I ever have a bout of insomnia, I'll keep this post in mind.

Precy Larkins said...

That's horrible! The theft, I mean, not the early morning writing inspiration. I haven't tried that--probably because I sleep like a log after going to bed past midnight (and waking up before 7--snooze!).

Btw, to cheer you up, I have a blog award for you: http://readywritego.blogspot.com/2011/10/just-brilliant.html

Shallee said...

That would have freaked me out! I'm sorry they got some of your stuff. :(

I've written in the middle of the night before, driven by inspiration after waking up. And it actually turned out quite awesome! I can't do it all the time, but when it happens, it's usually worth something.

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry and glad that it was just little things.

Iain said...

Didn't he take the dog with him?
I don't think I would have been able to write anything after that.
I write in my lunch hour, and on my journey home. (I'm too tired in the morning)
I did write after a few too many beers one evening. I thought it was going to be very poor, but when I read it the next morning, I was blown away by how good it was :o|

i'm erin. said...

Iain, every time you comment on my blog I nearly pee myself. I love your beer comment.

Zumba Emily said...

seriously, Mark scared the crap out of me, running after Nick and me in his undies like that. ;)

Sorry that happened. That's some scary stuff. Next time you should probably hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your husband. They robbin everybody.

i'm erin. said...

Emily, I just laughed so so so hard!

Megan said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. I've just started following you too!

I love to write at night. For some reason ideas flow better in the still of the dark. There's no noise, no distractions and the world just feels different.

Good luck with your writing and photography! And thank you for the nice comments about my blog.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com