Tuesday, October 25, 2011

writing inspiration - queries

Last year I queried a book.

And it didn't go so well. Why? Because I made all the rookie mistakes. ALL of them.

  • The query was confusing.
  • My book wasn't polished.
  • I gushed. A lot. I like to gush at people.
  • Basically I sounded like a twit.
  • And so on, and so forth . . .

So this year when I'm ready, I'm not going to do that again. Not by a long shot.

But in the mean time, Suzie Townsend of the Nancy Coffey Literary and Media Representation is offering a review of your query. She'll tell you why she'd really reject it. And it's for free! To enter her Query contest, go to: 
 

20 SPLURTS:

Lillie McFerrin said...

Thanks for sharing this! I defintely have query issues. Partly because I get stressed just thinking about it :)

Patti said...

I just read about her contest and I'm excited to do this, because I'm almost ready to query, so some honest feedback would be awesome.

Emily R. King said...

Good luck with your query entry! : )

Abby Fowers said...

Oh man, the nightmare's of querying. This would be a fabulous tool to use. Glad you shared. Thanks!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I recently wrote a query for a contest where I won a free query critique. I studied and rewrote and studied and rewrote some more and submitted it to critiquers. Unfortunately I got a lot of conflicting feedback. I finally submitted it to the author and she liked it with a few tweaks. But the stuff she commented on means she doesn't understand what's important in the book. So my query's still not right. Ugh.

i'm erin. said...

Oh Donna, I feel your pain.

Jessie Humphries said...

Queries= pain! Plain and simple. Cant I just pay someone $100 and be free of the pain???

Precy Larkins said...

I dread queries with a capital D. Dread them, I say! I am too wordy to condense anything into half a page. But sooner or later, I will have to try. Must get aspirin and a bottle of water first.

Good luck with your query writing!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Oh, I wish I were ready!!! I would love her honest opinion, but she says to have your manusript polished. Which mine is not. Oh well. Good Luck to you and everyone else!

DEZMOND said...

oh, my, those are some big mistakes. But now we've learned our lessons ... :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

That is SO awesome! Especially since it isn't a contest-- she'll take everyone who submits during that time frame! There isn't much quite as valuable as agent feedback on a query. So awesome you shared.

Iain said...

I'm just going to put: I know erin. Please represent me.

Thats should do it :o)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Thanks for the link! and feel free to share your horrid query for our amusement. ;)

Melissa Sugar said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Erin and for the link to this opportunity to have my query reviewed. I just finished my first novel & I am on the fence about whether or not it is ready for me to query. This is an excellent opportunnity for me to get some valuable feedback before I make all the rookie mistakes.

It was brave of you to share your first experience with us. It takes courage to admit that you were not ready when you sent your initial query and I admire you for sharing your experience with your readers so that we can hopefully learn from the mistakes that you made.

Every time I read your blog, I find another reason to admire & adore you.

Melissa

Jaime said...

Yeah, and this time, it's gonna be great, Erin!!

Stacy Henrie said...

Oh the dreaded query process - writing it, polishing it, sending it out, waiting for a reply. Good luck!

Maggie said...

Thanks for the link, I don't know if I'm brave enough for it, but I'd love to see what she said about everyone else's.

Jennie Bennett said...

what a great contest! Thanks for the share!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I think everyone has query issues when sending out that first book. :P Good luck with your entry!! :D :D

Alexis Bass said...

So glad to know I'm not the only one who thought it was acceptable to query as a rookie. Ah, learning the hard way. :)