Wednesday, September 07, 2011

school picture idea.

I don't like school photos. No. That's not quite it.
I loathe, detest, abhor, shudder-at-the-thought-of, completely-gag-when-I-look-at, HATE school photos. They're bland. They lack personality. And sometimes...if you're lucky, there's a mirror and a nicely posed child with a fist under his chin. Blech.

So this year I was inspired by a little photo I saw on Pinterest. If you're unsure what that is, email me and I'll fill you in. Basically Pinterest = best time suck ever!
This year I let the kids decide what they wanted in their picture. A favorite toy. A back pack. It was up to them. Then after the shoot, I mcjiggered a little somethin' somethin' in Photoshop. And voila! School pictures with personality and pizazz. (Can you tell I'm big on alliteration?)

It's an easy project.
1. Snap the picture.
2. Load the picture in Photoshop or another photo editing software that allows you to place text on the image.
3. Using varying fonts, type info about your kid at that age.
4. Flatten your image (if you used layers) and save a new copy so as not to save over the original file.
5. Print. If you live in Utah County go to Pro Digital Photos. They're great and I use them for a lot of my family pictures.

Here are a few samples of what I made:


12 SPLURTS:

Just SO said...

Great idea!!

Aubrey said...

SO cute! even with your instructions I'd need my hubby to help. ;) I am photoshop/editing illiterate. But I LOVE yours!

missionary mama said...

this is such a great idea! thanks for sharing erin!

Kristine said...

That is a great idea! I love those photos too.

Aria said...

Adorable!

Our Sweet Life said...

These are SO cute. I can't believe Ruby is only 23 lbs. Rocky is way heavier than her and half her age. :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

I'm not sure if I've told you this before, but DANG you guys make cute kids! Seriously. Freaking adorable. Bet they're even freaking adorable in bland, personality-less school pictures. :)

Shari said...

That is so clever and adorable!

fijiangirl said...

super cute idea! I love it.

Emerson Experiment said...

So true Erin!! I hate paying so much for pics that are crappy. I love your idea!

Taffy said...

Lovelovelove it! Great idea! I'm gonna try it this weekend.

The Goff Family said...

Love the idea, just don't know if I could do it. I am photoshop phobic! I may give it a try if I am feeling like I am having a conquer the world kind of day.