Sunday, July 18, 2010

food. glorious food.

In the great state of W, you'll find the most charming farmer's markets, road-side fruit stands, and mom and pop bakeries. So when we go up there we make a point of stopping at two of my favorites: Wenatchee Farmer's Market, and Anjou Bakery.

The little street market is held a couple times a week in the heart of Wentchee (if you haven't been there, you should go. It's one of those 'off the beaten path' charming towns that you'd find highlighted on the Food Network or HGTV.) The farmer's market sells a range of goods from home grown produce to beaded jewelry and homemade cards. That's just my type of thing, right? I love it with a capitol L.

I bought loads of cherries, but what caught my eye first were these bad boys. Do you know what they are?


Do you know what they are? At first I thought -- mini grape? But I was wrong.



After our stop in Wenatchee, we headed up into the mountains toward Leavenworth. But before we got there, or even to the cutest little town of Cashmere, we first stopped at the Anjou Bakery.

And then I died and went straight to heaven.

The treats you'll find at the Anjou Bakery are so good you won't share them with your kids. No way, baby. Not culinary craftsmanship like these fabulous goodies--give the kiddos the M&Ms. The Anjou Bakery's French pastries melt in your mouth and warm your tummy...and down the road, when you can't decide where you want to take a family summer vacation, you'll think to yourself, 'hmm, if we go visit my sister in Washington again, maybe we can convince her to drive out to Leavenworth so we can stop at that seriously-so-fab French bakery.'


And when you're plan works, you'll cackle like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons while you drum your fingers together as you wait for your delicious treats to be served to you.

5 SPLURTS:

Peggy said...

Gosh it all looks so tasty! What's the deal with making our mouths water for something we'd have to go to another state for? Curse you, Erin!!

And are they currants? We had a currant bush growing up, and it made the yummiest jam ever!

i'm erin. said...

Peggy! You know what a currant is? I had no idea. That is so awesome.

JoMamma said...

EXCELLENT...

pickle said...

I pretty love much all of them. My favorite bread, my undying bread. I think we're on the same page. I'm so sure that you enjoyed that day as I've enjoyed reading this article.
@erin: currant is any of several tart red or black berries used primarily for jellies and jams.

Nikki said...

They must be schnozzberries.