Sunday, June 20, 2010

Question for ya.

Mark and I have moved a lot. And now we live in Utah (if that's any big suprise to you, than we obviously haven't spoken in like 3 years. Get with it, will ya?)

I was thinking today about WHY we live here. And that got me thinking deeper thoughts...stuff like, why do you live where you do? I mean, really, you could pick up and live whereever you want. So I guess what I want to know is:

WHY do you live where you live? 

Thanks, I'm just curious.

15 SPLURTS:

Testing said...

TO live here: Grew up here, family on both sides here, like the family environment.

NOT to live here: cost of living, career opportunities, schooling. This makes us weigh out the other things and see if it's really worth the differences.

Julianne said...

I came here for college and married a boy who grew up here and never wants to leave. But even though we could leave, we stick around to be close to family. We love that our kids see their cousins all the time and know where the treats are hidden at grandma's house.

And having cool friends to hang out with is a bonus. (I'm including Mark in that little compliment, so pass it along. :))

Sara said...

I was born and raised in UT, and both of our families are close. We have talked about moving away though, if we get enough moolah. We'll see if it ever happens. ;)

BTW, did you get my email last week? I hope you're doing well! I'm excited for Friday!

Haley Hale said...

We moved here after spending 5 years in Utah- mainly for career opportunities and because of the close proximity of family (three hours away). I like it here- but I have found that I have left pieces of my heart scattered across the country. Mainly in various places out west, some in Hawaii, and some here in the South. I have learned that home is where you make it, to be happy wherever I am, and to have "joy in the journey." (For what its worth, I hope to live back in Utah- or somewhere out west- some day!)

Rach said...

I live in beautiful Hawaii & so should you. You know you want to. Because the ocean is close, the people are relaxed & loving & welcoming & because I don't have to get all dressed up to pick up groceries from Foodland. I can be me T-Shirt jeans & all without worrying that someone is going to judge me. Because the air smells of plumerias, the food taste better at sea level, and the weather is always perfect. Now I just need some family to live by me...like YOU!

Ipo said...

Am. Samoa has always been home for me. I've lived in other places but never felt like I was truly home. Don't get me wrong, living here is not exactly paradise...but it's home. I feel like I belong, like I have more purpose in life, like I'm a part of this island as much it is a part of me. Is that weird? There's a connection, between me and this island and I want my children to feel that connection, it has so much to do with my identity. I'm hoping my kids can feel that sense of connection, of security in knowing who they are, where they are from.

JoMamma said...

My parents gave us the land we built our house on. I don't think I could live away from my family. I love that I get to experience all four seasons.

i'm erin. said...

Haley, I love that phrase "pieces of my heart . . ." I'll have to use that!

i'm erin. said...

IPO! I love what you wrote. It's so true. That's how I feel...uh, but not about Samoa.

The Price Family said...

I live in Washington now because my boyfriend/husband/best friend was accepted into Grad school here. I am not sure if we will make this our home but I am almost sure at this point that we will be moving back to sunny california some point in our lives.

sanaejames photography said...

Erin...why do I live in utah? man...you got me thinking the same question. geez....

kellieanne said...

We live in Utah because Carp got a job here. I actually really loved Pennsylvania. If we had never moved here for a job we would still be there. Right now I don't see us moving anytime soon. I think we have a good thing going for our kids (especially Seth and his needs) and don't want to uproot them.

Besides, my best friend lives here. She would be hard to leave.

A. said...

I grew up in the same house, and then in the same area for the first 19 years of my life. Then I moved only an hour away which brought me closer to the beach. Tim grew up in the same area as well. So we stay here mainly for that, family is all around here for the most part, and we love being 45 minutes from the beach and the mountains. Gotta love being able to ki and surf all in one day. :) (Not to mention, we enjoy our Disney passes. Makes it nice during the school year when no one is there).

Katie Evans said...

I moved here 4 years ago for my hubby. I'm orginally from indiana not sure if you knew that but i told him that i was never going to raise our kids where i grew up because the schools are horrible and the highschool that i graduated from in 2002 is now almost 100% black. I'm not prejudice or anything but most of these black kids are in gangs and are trouble! my brother who will be a junior this fall was the only white kid in his math class this year and that honestly scares me because he is a tall skinny white kid! I also love Utah, i love the mountains especially being able to see them out my living room window is so amazing to me! I also suffer from seasonal allergies and when i lived back east i would have to drug up on allergy meds and here i don't!

We used to live in orem in a basement apartment before we moved here to Pleasant Grove a year and a half ago and i'm so thankful for the ward that we are in now because our last ward was super clicky and i have met some great people here like you Erin and your wonderful family! I love you guys even though i don't know you that well!

Love ya!

Bobbi said...

We came to Missouri originally because we thought we had found a great career opportunity for Justin here. The job we came for ended up sucking big time, so Justin quit after 9 months, but in the mean time we grew to love it here, so we stayed. We also like it here because the dental market is not saturated like it is the western states like Utah & Colorado. Justin's potential for building a successful practice is much greater here because the need for dentists (and pretty much any medical professional) is greater. So, basically, we're here because it's a beautiful place to live, a great community in which to raise a family, and offers us an opportunity to make lots of moolah to spend on awesome vacations to places we'd rather be!!! It also helps that we've managed to recruit two of Justin's brothers and his parents to move here...and my sister lives here as well, so having family close by makes it feel even more like home.