Sunday, August 30, 2009

Read Much? (snort)

My book list over the last month has dwindled thanks to an increse in photography (No complaints there), so here you have it. This is what I've read, what I thought about it, and what I think you should read.

CATCHING FIRE - by Suzanne Collins

Yes! You read that correctly. My lovely-wonderful-super cool-small town-library got it in and gave it to me before it even goes on sale. That rocks! (see two posts down)

What did I think? I loved it. I loved it so much I couldn't put it down and seriously considered ditching an outing I had previously planned. It was as intense and dramatic as the first, with more plot twists, turns and dives. It kept me on my toes and I felt more connected to the protagonist than I did in the first. Though a huge issue I had with the first novel was finally resolved, the ending left me hanging and begging for more. Which Sucks. Why? Well the next in the series isn't slated to come out for another year.

There you have it. Go read it. Love it. Then tell me what you think about it.

EYES LIKE STARS by Lisa Mantchev
It started out slow. Very slow. And then the ball started rolling. I cant say I loved it. In fact, it took me almost a week to read. (That should say something about it's plot hooks...or lack thereof) But, by the end, I liked it. Enough so that I would read the sequel. Read this book when you don't have another you're dying to read. This is a great lazy day book or vacation book.
SACRED SCARS by Kathleen Duey
This novel is the sequel to Skin Hunger. If you look back at my review, you'll see what I thought of that one. The problem I had with this one is that it mirrored the first. Crap happens. It gets worse. Nothing gets resolved. More things gets worse. Time passes. Book ends.
No notable climax, no problem solved! I HATE THAT. End the dang book already! Or at least give some closure.
So now I'm two books into this series, no closure at all, and there's another year before the final book comes out. I suggest you wait to read all three until then.
THESE IS MY WORDS by Nancy Turner
I put off reading this for so long. Historical fiction is not my thing.
Boy was I wrong! Once I sunk in 50 pages I was hooked. I couldn't put the book down. And when I finally finished I thought about it for hours if not days and days. I gasped, laughed, blushed and then cried. This book gripped me completely. I would recommend this to everyone and anyone.
JUST ONE WISH by Janette Rallison
It was due back at the library. So I thought I'd scan over the first few chapters. 2 1/2 hours later I finished the novel. It sucked me in and I loved every word of it. In typical Janette Rallison fashion, the plot is succinct, witty and funny. I laughed hard. This is a delightful read that tackles issues of life and death. I would recommend this novel to all teenage girls and their moms. It's a great chick fic!

STORM GLASS
by Maria Snyder

I loved Maria Snyder's Poison Study series. Sadly, when I got the call from the library about Catching Fire, this novel was pushed aside. Since I'm already 150 pages in, I have a sense of where the novels going. It's not as engaging as the Poison Study series, and not as gripping as Catching Fire. So will I finish it? I can't say right now. If you've read it, please tell me if I should finish or not.
PRADA AND PREJUDICE by Mandy Hubbard
Snarky. That pretty much sums it up. This quick read is the perfect step into a modern teenage girls shoes. I thought the protagonist was likable, and most importantly believable. I didn't feel as though I was reading the likeness of a teenage girl made up by some stay at home middle aged writing mom. No, it seemed as though I were really in the teenager's head. This novel is funny, quick paced and an easy read. I would recommend this to any chick lit lover.
JUST ELLA by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Sadly, I had no love for this novel. The idea of Cinderalla's 'not so' happily ever after was fun at first, but after the first 100 pages the plot really dragged. The protagonist focused so much on being independent that she lost depth as a character. It was as if her character only felt one emotion. In fact, most of the characters were very
simplistic - each seeming to have only one emotion or thought process. The novel lacked depth and the ending lacked luster.
THE ACTOR AND THE HOUSEWIFE by Shannon Hale
Sure. I'll admit I was sucked in. I loved it, laughing hard throughout. That's typical of a Shannon Hale novel. She excels in witty banter and great character building. There were a few sections where the novel dragged, and at one point, the two main characters of the novel seemed to meld into one. Too many likenesses in character traits and dialogue. But what I hated most was the end. (No worries, I won't give it away) I felt lied to. The character was developed as one person and doesn't carry through with personality in the end. Hated it!
KETURAH AND LORD DEATH by Martine Leavitt
This quick easy read had such an interesting plot that I was drawn into it. I enjoyed the simple love story and the character development. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys fairytale retellings.
Ask the Audience: What have you been reading? What should I read next?

4 SPLURTS:

renae said...

i had the exact same experience with "these is my words." it was so great!

did you know there is a sequel???? it's called "sarah's quilt" and i maybe like it a teensy bit better than the first. it's incredible.

thanks for this list-- i have some reading to do!

i'm erin. said...

Really Renae? You liked it better? I knew there was a sequel, but I was so distraught after reading the first that I couldn't bring myself to reading more.

Peggy said...

I can't believe how you find time to read! I guess it helps that you read at the speed of a freight train careening down a steep mountain without any brakes, but still. That reading list is quite impressive!

Weight Family said...

You read all this in a month?! You must have a slave-friend.