Friday, March 13, 2009

Have I Got A Story For You...Part 2

Did I seriously just walk away from a Publisher? I'd been told in class that should this opportunity ever arise, which it next to never would, then I should jump on it. I wrestled with the decision, turning every 10 or so seconds to Mark asking, "Do you think I said enough? Do you think when I send something in he'll remember me? What more do you think I should do?"

Mark, in his all-knowing supportive way, suggested that I call Peggy-my fun, fellow writer who attended the BYU writing conference with me. Of course that's what I should do! I whipped out my phone, dialed the number, and had Peggy at my disposal to spill my publisher run-in story with.

When I asked her what I should do, she promptly said, "GO BACK!" Of, course that's what I should do, I thought. But, what should I say? Peggy reminded me of the great tips for talking to an agent, editor, or publisher that we'd learned in class this past week. So, mental tools ready and waiting, I charged back over to the publisher...followed by my super supportive hubby, Mark, my rowdy -hanging off the Costco shopping cart- boys, and my darling sweet baby girl. Seven or so feet from THE PUBLISHER (I felt I should put that in all caps to better explain his control of the publishing world at Shadow Mountain), I stopped, turned to Mark, my kind, kid-controlling man, and said, "I don't think I should pitch my book to him with the boys screaming and running around us in circles."

Mark cocked his head to one side, considered my point and nodded his head in agreement. He quickly ushered the boys down to the sweet candy section, and left me to face THE PUBLISHER ALONE.

Tentatively, I approached THE PUBLISHER, scanning to see if he was already talking to someone else. To my luck, he was not. Mark L. Forman was occupied signing books and THE PUBLISHER stood off to the side observing silently. My stomach flip-flopped; he stood there needing me...well, someone to talk to...and I could be that someone.

(cue celestial angels singing, "Hallelujah!")

"Hi, I'm back," I said, trying to contain my bursting excitement. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Turning to face me straight on, he unfolded his arms and placed a hand in the pocket of his crisply pressed khakis. Everything about his attire, from his costly red knit sweater to the stiff collar of his blue dress shirt, screamed PROFESSIONAL. Had I not been keeping a strong grip on my composure I might have had one of those involuntary shudders...you know the type, where you feel a chill and your body jerks oddly like you're on shaky ground - and then you look around to make sure no one was watching you. (long explanation, but really I was on the verge of having my own little attack)

"What would you like to know?" He asked, the power at controlling the publishing world stained across each of his words.

Part 3 to be posted soon.

13 SPLURTS:

JoMamma said...

Your killing me... And I know some of the story from this point. I'll be back....

kellieanne said...

You're killing me . . . because I DON'T know the story at all! Please, please, PLEASE update soon!

Kristina P. said...

I can't wait to hear the rest!!

Ticklemedana said...

bah...you're killing me woman! oh, and if I recall correctly, you usually just send in the first chapter of your book and they'll tell you if they want more. (I have a friend who's been shipping around a fantasy novel for some time now...)

holmesfam.blogspot.com said...

Okay...if your book leaves me hanging anything like this story, I will be one angry reader! But thanks for keeping me interested ... I can't wait to hear the rest. You're already an awesome writer!

Just SO said...

Virtual High five for going back to talk to him! Yeah!!

(is that enough vhf's? Or have I not hit the limit yet?)

I may just have to call you and torture you to tell me the rest.

Kahilau said...

I this what your book is going to be like? KILLING ME!?!?!?! Haha, I just caught a glimpse of all the other comments that say the same thing. You are an amazing storyteller pulling me in everytime, no matter what the subject. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Bobbi said...

You're enjoying this, aren't you? I've almost decided NOT to read your book after all. This is just too maddening...Should I call you and make you tell me the rest of the story over the phone, or just wait until the next post? What do I do? I just don't know. Hmmmm...What would you do if you were me?

tammy said...

Erin, you are mean. If this is the kind of uber-suspenseful writing we can expect, I'm not sure I can take it! Wait, what am I saying---I LOVE suspense!! Just like I love how you seem to come across so many great situations involving your talent! Way to go Erin!

jodi said...

Okay you seriously think you're gonna have a problem getting your book published? If it's anything like this, you'll have no problem @ all! I'm on the edge of my seat! You're killin' me here. :)

sanaejames photography said...

awwww! come on! spill already! Waht happened? geez!!!! I gotta give it to you to leave me on the edge of my seat though! :)I'll check back!!!!

Honey and Hotstuff said...

Erin,
I had this crazy thought come to me today that I felt I needed to share with you.
"Now Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't, didn't already have."
Tin Man by America

Can't wait for the rest of the story.....
~honey

Anonymous said...

That's right, Cassano makes more in one month compared to a normal
family making a fantastic earnings of $100,000 annually brings home in ten years super real they definitely represent an increased risk for the lender and possibly a
lesser risk to the borrower.