Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Have I got a story for you!

Where have I been...hmm, (pulling my fingers together like Smithers from the Simpsons) that is the question.



Writing, writing, more writing...(my mom says to stop using so many "...", but I love them so deal while I tell my story). I have this crazed, fantasy story running around in my dreams that is slowly working its way out of my fingertips and onto my hard drive. Yes, one of my greatest aspirations is to be PUBLISHED (cue celestial angels singing). Like all great stories mine involves a devestatingly, dreamy guy that falls in love with a witty, funny girl. And after trials and tribulations...(oh, I can't share that. It would spoil the ending. Sorry)


Anyway, In the effort to become a better writer, I've been attending a secret writing class taught by the coolest New York Times best-selling author (who I also can't tell you about because it's a secret). Please don't be annoyed with all the non-telling, I will get to the telling. I promise.


In addition to laboring over my dream story, I attended a writing conference with a fabulous fellow writer. While there, famed author, Lynn Kurland, encouraged me to join RWA - Romance writers of America. I jumped on that suggestion and signed up online.


The first meeting for the Utah chapter was held this past Saturday. What did I do to further my dreams and become a writer? NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. I was too tired to go, so I stayed at home, feeling the nagging desire to go to Costco.


About noon, Mark, my super sweet hubby, and my brood of three wild boys and one darling baby girl, headed to THE COSTCO. Arriving there, I found Mark L. Forman signing copies of his novel Slathbog's Gold. Of course I picked it up and spoke with him about his writing process. I'm sure I talked his ear off, asking him question after question. Somewhere during my probe of his knowledge, the man next to him introduced himself.

(Cue high angles singing gloriously) Chris Schoebinger of Shadow Mountain Publishing extended his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Mark's publisher. I wanted to scream. Jump up and down. Pee my pants. So, of course what did I do?

I walked away...

Part 2 coming soon

15 SPLURTS:

Kristina P. said...

We have missed you in bloggyland, but this sounds like a great opportunity!

Maman Pélissié said...

I love the "..." I use them all the time too!

Just SO said...

You walked away!!! Don't leave me hanging.

Personally I like the use of !!!

And I'm giving you a virtual high five.

Ipo said...

I can't wait to read your book when it's all published and stuff! Your energy jumps out of the computer and hits me like, like, a bolt of energy! You're so cool....

Just SO said...

Coming back for another virtual high five.

i'm erin. said...

hahaha, Hey Shanna, Hi Five, on the FLIP SIDE!

kellieanne said...

ERIN! You must tell us (as Paul Harvey use to say . . . ) "the rest of the story." Please update us tomorrow!

Marcie said...

Thanks for leaving us hanging! You are awesome for being so ambitious.

Weight Family said...

DUDE! You have accomplished a lot. Good job!

Just SO said...

Another Virtual High five! Yeah!!

Bobbi said...

I can already tell your novel will be a page-turner. I'm already dying for the sequel to this blog post!!!

A. said...

You're such a tease!!

Oh - and by the way Miss Writer... you forgot one of your beloved " afer "Hi. I'm Mark's Publisher." For a minute I thought HE was about to pee his pants! :P

JoMamma said...

The Calabio Girls are such teases. Leading me on then telling me I have to wait. I don't like to wait g\ive me what I want now. I want the whole story.

Cruise to the Max said...

Believe me A. She really is a tease. Ha ha.

Jo said...

By the way, those " . . . " are ellipsis which are supposed to be used to indicate the omission of one or more words within a quation. You don't want to use them 2-3 times on every page. Maybe the exception would be if the person in your novel is an idiot who never knows how to end her/his sentences. Other than that, it's a great book, so you can take care of me in my old age with money from it and the many others you'll be writing.