Thursday, March 26, 2009

Food for Thought

I don't know if this is just a problem of mine, but when I see something edible that is exquisite. Awe-inspiring. Decadently Gorgeous. My Mouth Salivates! If it looks good, then I want to eat it...and not just eat it, but sometimes it talks to me, and forces me into submission.

See's Candy Example:

Me: I'm going to be good, I don't need to buy a piece of Sees candy today (as I walk haltingly past the Black and White Sweet Trap in the Mall)


Frustratingly Fabulous-Looking Caramel: Erin, Ohhhhh Erin...You know you want to eat me. Look how rich and chewy I am. Think how enjoyable it will be to sink your teeth into me.

Me: No, I don't need you. What have you ever done for me besides enlarge the junk in my trunk? Besides, I just walked by here an hour ago and dropped three bucks on four pieces of your pricey friends. I DON'T NEED YOU!

Freakishly-Alluring Sees Candy: Oh, Erin. COME EAT ME! You'll never be happy unless you do. All the cool people are buying some. If you don't you'll never be popular or be asked to the prom...

Me: Oh, the turmoil. What to do? ok, well maybe I'll buy just one. Do you hear me devil candy? Just One! (five minutes later I walk out of Sees, toting a 1/2 pound box of demon delights!) Yesterday, one of the lovely-looking, lasses that so happens to be taking my Photo 101 class, brought me this decadent, delightful, dream of a dessert. (SIDE NOTE: Alliteration...using the same starting sound multiple times in a phrase or a sentence for added emphasis...are you getting my added emphasis?)

I vowed to bring home this beauty and share it with my sweet kid-watching hubby. Although gorgeous, I was sure each tasty morsel was loaded with unwanted CALORIES.

So, did I? Did I share it with my hubby? Of course...



NOT!

That devil delight had me suck it down in two giant chomps. Blasted talking treats.

17 SPLURTS:

holmesfam.blogspot.com said...

Hey I believe that decadent dessert gave you the awesome energy for your workout this morning....all signs of it were on the pool of sweat on the floor! My pool of sweat came from Reses Peanut Butter easter candy....dang all these holidays with good candy lurking about!

Kristina P. said...

Sees is awesome. I have the biggest sweet tooth!

Brooke said...

That looks delicious...mmmm.

Just SO said...

Have you talked you your doctor about the fact that this candy is talking to you? ;)

(oh and I'm off to start reading right now.)

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

oh that looks so amazing. . . i wouldn't have shared either!!

tammy said...

#1. I love alliteration.

#2. I told you so.

tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ipo said...

Whew! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has lengthy conversations with food. 99% of the time, the food wins...sigh. I guess that's why we workout...

big8smiley said...

MMMMM, she made that?? I just finished working out. I think I'll go enjoy some chocolate. Thanks a lot!

missionary mama said...

yummy in my tummy! looks expensive!

Nikki said...

I would've shared with my hubby. lol But only because it has kiwi on the top and I prefer to stay away from emergency rooms and anaphylactic shock.

We are "lucky" we don't have See's Candies here in the frozen north. But we do have a fun shop here called Chocolatopia. mmm...

A. said...

You're not kidding!! I went to the mall with a fiend the other day and she gave me a gift certificate to SEE's for my birthday while we were there. Of course, I got the pound right then. Do you know where it is now? I'm almost too embarassed to say..... GONE!

i'm erin. said...

hahahaha Amy... I know it. I went through a pound so quickly!

Finn and Tracey Family said...

oh my, resisting is SOOO hard. i have ZERO will power. i think i had a sweet tooth in the womb...my mom loves the goodies and my dad loves to feed infants ice-cream! i had NO hope!

you are hilarious and it is a delight to read your blog. : )

Mariko said...

Not only do these treats talk, they stalk!
I have been shamelessly baking vegan treats all month. For some reason I've decided that they must be more healthy. HA!

Nick and Emily said...

you're funny! i thought you really did share with mark. i was really super impressed and then BAM you totally got me.

Robyn said...

So are you going to get us all the recipe?