Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ask the Audience: Drinking?

No, of course I'm not talking about the alcohol type of beverage. I am talking bout' the good ole' SODA POP (Joann, if your reading this, I don't mean Soda Pop and Ice cream...he he he).


I'll be the first to admit it, I may...or may not...have a bit of a drinking problem. I like- no, I LOVE my diet pepsi. In fact, when the weather is warm I don't like to go a day without running down to Harts or Walkers to grab my 32 oz. Diet Pepsi with a squirt of vanilla and cherry flavoring. Yum! Just writing this post is making my mouth water for the thirst quenching, biting sip of DIET PEPSI.


See what I mean? I may...or may not...be an addict.


How much soda do you drink a day?


What would you say is an acceptable amount?


p.s. If you are my dear loving hubby, or my thoughtfully opinionated mom, this may not be a good post for you to comment on.

18 SPLURTS:

Kristina P. said...

I go through phases. I really shouldn't be drinking a lot of soda, because I've noticed it gives me heartburn, but I can't help it!!

Kayleen said...

Erin - face it. You are an addict. lol
I used to drink Diet Coke every day - sometimes 2 a day. Now I drink one maybe once a week or a few times a month or when I come down for and hang out with you at all hours in the morning! I am more addicted to bottled water than anything. Good thing since I have such dry skin/eyes. Boo to Utah.
We buy gallons of filtered water at Dicks. Refills are a whopping 39cents! And the taste is so pure and refreshing. MUCH better than our nasty tap water.

Caffeine is always a nice treat once in a while though. :P

Weight Family said...

I haven't drank soda for like 4 years, and it's not hard at all. I, too, had my favorite drinks but gave them up as a resolution one year and have never turned back. Easiest resolution I have ever made... seriously. (Do a post on ice cream and I can tell you every great flavor). I do steal a sip occasionally though, and craved it early on in this pregnancy. So it isn't 100% so to say, but I probably drink about 20 oz. of soda/ year. I just think, like anything, if you can't live without it... probably not such a good thing. But I have lots of stuff I can't live without... WHEW... I am long winded today, lonely I suppose. Is it almost 4:00?!

Just SO said...

I'm going to plead the fifth on this one.

Why? Because the numbers 6 and 4 are in the amount that I drink.

Brooke said...

Zero, I gave it up a long time ago. I can live without my carbonation and additional sugar...I figured if I was going to give up something why not make it something I didn't care that much about. I will drink it on occasion, mainly if there is nothing else available, but it's not even a temptation anymore. Good luck if you decide to make the break!

Nikki said...

I used to drink a 12 oz. can of Mt. Dew whenever I would get a migraine. And I would get migraines right before periods and also through the entire 2nd trimester of pregnancy.

But then I started LOVING Mt. Dew way too much. And I'd drink a can a day even when I didn't have a migraine. I got dependent on the caffeine and would get a headache from not having it.

So just before Christmas I gave it up. I gave up all carbonation and most especially the caffeine. Since then, I haven't had any caffeine. I did have some A&W Rootbeer a couple weeks ago because I was craving rootbeer floats. But that's it. I'm done with caffeine.

Now I'm starting to get migraines again because I'm in my second trimester. And they are practically unbearable. But I just keep uber-hydrated and take 2 Tylenol. Helps a little- but the very thought of being addicted to caffeine again deters me from having any.

Honey and Hotstuff said...

My name is Honey and I am an addict! (hello honey)... I cannot live without my diet coke. But from reading all of these comments (and my self esteem dropping 10 pts cause I am not a strong as everyone else) I have limited myself to about (max) 40 oz give or take in the day. Some days are less. But I stop after the 40 oz. I have this horrible thing that around 2pm I need a diet coke and some chocolate just to make it through the rest of the day.

A. said...

none. I take an occassional sip of my hubby's if he gets one somewhere just because the bubbles feel neat. hee hee. But nothing says "quebched" to my thirst like a nice glass of cold water.

I think what totally sealed the deal was the info about what soda can eat through. Eek!

JoMamma said...

I have been Pepsi free since August 18th of 2008. Oh I admit I want one almost daily, but I am being strong.

Now regarding the Soda Pop & Ice Cream that is going to have to be decided between you and your husband.

JoMamma said...

I have been Pepsi free since August 18th of 2008. Oh I admit I want one almost daily, but I am being strong.

Now regarding the Soda Pop & Ice Cream that is going to have to be decided between you and your husband.

Ticklemedana said...

let me tell you a little story...

When I was 20 I broke my humerus. It was near halloween. BY January, 3 months later, it STILL WASN'T HEALED. It should've been healed in 6 weeks. My doctor was baffled. She finally asked me "are you drinking caffeinated beverages?" I said "no" because at the time I was not. then she asked me "are you drinking ANY CARBONATED beverages?" and I said "well, I drink a lot of sprite..."

Then she tells me to stop immediately. Carbonated beverages inhibits our body's natural ability to absorb calcium. What little calcium I was getting in my diet was passing straight through my body because of the soda i was drinking.

Now, I enjoy a good diet coke every once in a while, but I don't want to put myself on the fast track to having osteoporosis before I hit 40...

i'm erin. said...

Wow ticklemedana, that is Crazy! ok, that totally puts it in perspective for me. thanks.

Ipo said...

Diet coke is my vice. I tried to go cold turkey, but it didn't work. I've cut back on drinking it to just the weekends. I soooo look forward to the weekends when I can chug down a 44oz DC in no time. I need to try out the squirts of vanilla flavoring sometime. I didn't know about that.
Here's to Happy Drinking!!

Haley Hale said...

i decided that if you are going to do it, you might as well do it. i say yes to full fledged coke. no diet here! i also like a drink in tennessee called sun drop. it is similar to mountain dew, only more citrusy. it is delicious! HOWEVER, i try to drink at least 64 ounces of water every day, and there is not a lot of extra room in my bladder for soda on top of that. but i feel you. soda is sooooo good!

Ashleigh said...

my husband and i are dropping the diet coke, even though we are religious fans, cause it's not healthy...it's not that hard :) you can do it if you wanna!

Marcie said...

I could retype word for word the whole first paragraph of what "A." said and that would be my answer. I luckily am not a big fan of soda. When did this start for you? :P I remember you being so good at chugging down water. :)

i'm erin. said...

I know Marcie!

I have no will power. It was when I started teaching high school, I totally started bringing a diet pepsi to faculty meeting.

Robyn said...

I don't drink soda. I mean, I have one here and there, but really, not a soda drinker anymore. I kinda gave up Harts and Walkers shortly after high school. :-)