Monday, May 12, 2008

How was Mother's Day for you?

For the most part, I often hear women talk of how they dislike Mother's Day and feel inadequate because of the talk of perfect mothers...COME ON?!? Who really is the perfect mother? I have heard women speak of the perfect mother as a woman who gives their children their heart's desires, a woman who cleans up after her children's messes with a smile on her face and works endlessly to make her children happy. To be honest, this sounded pretty dang good to me when I was a teenager. Why did I have to do chores and earn my own money to go out with friends? Why did I have to clean my room, wash my laundry, and save my own money for college?
It is only now that I have had my own kids that I realize that a great mother would have to be 'the worst mother' in the world at some point....Let me explain. When I was in high school, I loathed my mom because she wouldn't buy me the expensive, popular, name-brand jeans, she grounded me for breaking curfew, she actually imposed a curfew that was earlier than midnight, she made me clean my room and complete weekly chores, and she made me pay when I went shopping or out with my friends! She made me iron my own clothes and take care of all my own laundry. If something was dirty and I couldn't wear it, then it was my own fault. And to top it all off, she would take me to thrift stores and yard sales. Can you believe all of that?!?
In retrospect, I have to admit that even though I thought she was the 'worst' mom (sorry mom) I think now that I am BLESSED to have had one of the BEST moms. From her I have learned to clean and organize a home, quilt beautiful fabrics together, cook a mouth-watering meal, shop the sales and save loads of money, find the best bargain around and be self-sufficient, save my money and put it away for greater expenses. During those high school years, my mom's lessons taught me to be self-sufficient and resourceful. My mom never told me there was anything I couldn't do. She told me I could do anything I set my heart and mind on. This great lesson is one that I will always treasure and be grateful to my Mom for. It is because of her that I have had so many opportunities in life and I have accomplished all that I have...
I am grateful for all that she has taught me and the person she has taught me to be. I love her very much and I hope that I can be all that she was to me.
....so to be the BEST mom...at some point you have to be the WORST mom...
Happy Mother's Day to you.

6 SPLURTS:

Leslie said...

We totally had the worst/best mom in the world, ha ha! Just kidding about the worst part. I have to say we are really blessed to have been taught to be so self-sufficient, creative, and hard working from mom. I didn't know until I was a married adult that not everyone had the same great training we did and had to learn a ton of that as adults.

Shelby said...

True dat Erin--I think you are a great worst mom! Someday they will appreciate it like you do!

sanaejames photography said...

YOur mom sure did teach ya right! You guys are so awesome...both you and Rachel are such great ladies. You'd have to have a great mom because you guys are so great! can I overuse the word great or what?!?

Unknown said...

Aw. Gosh, thanks. Mom

Carterista said...

It's a hard-knock life.
Pass it on.

JoMamma said...

I keep waiting for you to post something new. COME ON. Just Kidding. I need to tell you something... You can call yourself the worst mom, but your not. As long as you are acting out of love you are the best mom. Now that is all.