Friday, October 12, 2007

Pumpkins!!!






Over the last few years, I sacrificed my love of pumpkins for my need to purchase groceries. Just as the cost of living in Hawaii is outrageous, so are seasonal items like watermelon in the summer and pumpkins in the fall. Each fall I hung my head low and avoided the glare of the sumptuous pumpkin that desired I take him home, carve a deliciously scary face on him and then roast his insides with a light dash of seasoned salt. My boys were denied falls famous pasttime because of the outrageous price per pumpkin. So, to my excitement, I jumped for joy when I saw the price for pumpkins was 19 cents per pound at the local grocery store! I gleefully filled my basket with 8 pumpkins: two for each year that I was unable to buy one and then four more just for a good time! So now that I have all my large lucious pumpkins, here is what I will do:

1. Carve scary faces into a few pumpkins.

2. Pull out the seeds, wash them with a lightly salted water solution, spread them on an oil sprayed pan and then roast them at 375 for 15-20 minutes, turing them every 5 minutes. Then after removing them from the oven, lightly sprinkle them with seasoned salt or table salt.

3. Paint scary phrases on three pumpkins: B O O (in black curvy letters)

4. Dig only the stem out of 2 pumpkins, a space that is suitable for a small votive candle, perferrably pumpkin spice sented. Then place the candle in the pumpkin and light it for warm seasonal lighting.

5. Place all the pumpkins on the steps leading up to yoru home and have your adorable children, dressed in fall hues, sit strategically among the pumpkins as to create the perfect fall ambiance...then snap shots like you are a pro photographer!

4 SPLURTS:

Haley Hale said...

I will trade you-toasted pumpkin seeds for fudge pie!

JayandCassandra said...

Where's George??

jase said...

cute photos, i love them

Shelby said...

My kids would love to be immortalized along with your luscious pumpkins!! Haley--I'll trade you almost anything for fudge pie!!