Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Lights on but Nobody's there...

After the children went to bed, I curled up on the couch with remote in hand to watch a show while Mark left the house to run a few errands. The house was eerily dark because we had begun the organized packing process, and seeing that we didn't really need the extra lamps, I packed them. During the commercial breaks of "Flip that House" I channel surfed and I ended up watching a spooky scene from A.I. (a semi-recent sci-fi flick about robots). At the peak of spookiness in the movie, Haley Joel Osment, the main A.I. character, travels deep into the ocean that has taken over New York City, and proceeds to have an eerie conversation with a hundred year old blue fairy statue in what was once Cooney Island. Of course, sitting all alone in a dark apartment that picks up every creaky sound from the nearby highway, I was pretty much asking to get creeped out by continuing to watch A.I., but I was drawn to it like a fly on poop. As the spookiness reached an all time high in the sci-fi flick, I heard a loud creak originating from the kitchen which caught me by complete surprise. Freaked out, I jumped off the couch. I turned to see what the noise was in the kitchen and I saw Henry.
Henry was climbing up onto the bar stool at the kitchen counter. I said, "Henry." He did not respond. Again I said, "Henry, what are you doing?" and again, he did not respond. Speaking very loudly I asked him what he was doing in the kitchen and why he was out of bed. Again, he did not respond. Confused, I watched him as he raised his hands in front of his face and began to have a noiseless conversation. It was like he was talking to someone, using his hands to demonstrate what he was talking about, but no sound was coming from him. He nodded his head a few times in response to whomever he thought he was talking to and then nodded his head off to one side and sat still. His eyes looked glazed over and I couldn't help but to compare him to the eerie robotic, children creations in the movie. After watching him for about 5 minutes in complete awe and bizarre terror, I went over, lifted him out of the seat and took him back to his bed, where he went immediately back to "regular" looking sleep. When I asked him today what he was doing last night, he had no recollection of the incident...CREEPY!

8 SPLURTS:

Shelby said...

Erin---That gives a whole new meaning to "Child of the Corn." I'm so excited to come visit your creepy house and creepy family!

Marcie said...

That is so weird that that happened during the scary movie, too! I wonder if he'll sleep walk more in the future? I wouldn't have been able to sleep after that!

JayandCassandra said...

Okay so that would kinda fread me out!! Jay says that he had a dream where he was sitting at your counter talking with Henry. He claims that's how insync they are! He's just kidding!

Jesse said...

YIKES!!! That would have made me start balling. Me and scary stuff do not mix! Did you turn on all the lights in the house after that?

Carterista said...

Hmmm...Very interesting.(in a deep, slow, eerie voice) Would you like to lie on my couch and tell me more about this Henry person? Let me just grab my clipboard before we start. HaHa! Loved the font. Very typewritterish.

Nikki said...

Henry's got good timing. hehe. He inherited it from me. I sleepwalk and talk and accuse and sometimes wake up angry at Danny for cheating on me yet again!

Nikki said...

I mostly only have the dreams of him cheating on me while I'm pregnant.

Shari said...

Erin, I got drawn into that movie last week too. Mark used to sleep walk when he was little only his were not the silent type. His were night terrors and he would scream at all of us, that was pretty freaky too. I am sure he doesn't remember but I sure do.