Monday, December 12, 2011

secret 19 of 100

I used to chew gum--

I found on the ground . . .

That had already been chewed.


Yep. That's the horrible, nasty, no-good, rotten secret of the day. Thus, why I haven't posted until late afternoon. Here's hoping nobody reads this one. But I had to get it off my chest. It's not that bad, is it? I was like four years old. And when my Mom or Dad, or really, really, really annoying sisters found me out I tried desperately to lie about it.

"I, um, got it from a, uh, friend. Yeah, a friend."

Not.

That never worked. I had to spit it out, wash out my mouth, and promise not to do it again.
Eventually I out grew that nasty little habit. (I know you all out there have some of your own nasty little habits, so tread lightly in the "ewwww" comment department.) But here's the thing. I've recently decided that my ABC gum-resuage program isn't all bad. Well the chewing-someone-elese's-gum is totally bad, but the re-usage part is good because it taught me to be thrifty and frugal and make use out of someone else's throw away. That's good, right?

So there you have it: my secret is I'm thrifty.

24 SPLURTS:

David P. King said...

Eew!

Btw, I'm loving these secrets posts. :)

Nikki said...

I still remember the day I decided to try it too. Sooooooooooooooooooo nasty. There was dirt and crap in it. ugh. I feel violated just reliving it.

Jennie Bennett said...

lol! I've seen my three-year-old do worse, and being thrifty is always a good thing. ;)

Jenny S. Morris said...

Thrifty is great! My kids have both tried to do this. Why not? Someone just left it there for you. I'm that's what is going through their head. Thanks for sharing.

Cristina said...

eew! that's so grossssss!!!!!

here's my dirty secret: once when I was about 4-5 I picked up a still lit cigarette butt off the ground at a coffee shop and took a drag! so, so nasty... My mom was soooo mad, LOL....I can still remember the sick feeling I got, yikes!

Emily R. King said...

That's one of my favorite parts of Elf. I cringe every time I see it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I chewed gum I found in the middle of the road once when I was three or four years old. I remember it being gritty. Yucky!

Leigh Covington said...

Oh man! EWWWW! Lol. I've got to shake my head at this one.

I will tell you a secret about my hubby tho. He grew up on a farm where they had chickens and used to eat the chicken poop! Bleh! He didn't tell me this until after we were married. Go figure. :)

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Gross! lol I have to agree though, that being thrifty is awesome! :)

Just SO said...

You and elf. Separated at birth.

Patti said...

What a great spin on that ... um ... bad habit.

Jessie Humphries said...

I am so not making out with u anymore! So stop asking! "dirty mouth? Clean it up with orbit."

Sarah Tokeley said...

Well, I'll applaud your bravery in sharing ;-)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Ohhhh gross. I think the worst I did was sticking my finger in the butter and running into the closet to eat it in secrecy.... ;)

That and I would steal chocolate chips out of the food storage. But those had not previously been in another's mouth. ;)

Iain said...

" " (That's me being lost for words)

Katie Dodge said...

Oh my. Well I'm glad you feel better for getting it off your chest. ;)
But seriously, at least you were a kid when you did it. If it were last week, I might be worried.

Jay Noel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy Eddleman said...

If chewing ABC gum is being thrifty, then I'm not so interested in being thrifty. :)

Jaime said...

That's not free candy, Erin.

Jay Noel said...

I think maybe you can start a new support group for people that are addicted to chewing old gum found stuck to the ground or other objects (a la Elf).

Chew on THAT!

Alexis Bass said...

Ewwww - but you already know that ;)
Being thirty is a good thing no matter how you got that way!

Jessica G. said...

My middle name is Anne but I was convinced it was Ants…so I would eat ants to live up to my name. :)

Rachel said...

Yah, I did it too. :) I am also now a very thrifty woman.

DEZMOND said...

I'm speechless :)
But what is this business with you making out with Jessie? :)))

Maggie said...

Pretty yucky. But I'm assuming this was a long, long ago kind of secret.