Monday, November 28, 2011

secret 17 of 100 . . . and updates

I'm a sneak. 
(That's the secret.)  

(But there's a little more to it.)
When I really want to write a lot, I have to get out of my house. My favorite haunt is the back-right corner of the local library beside the YA section where the chairs are soft and the windows have a picturesque view. Seriously, it's perfect. Just writing this makes me want to head for the stacks. But no worries, I'm a finisher. So let's get this thing done.

So the thing is when I'm writing, there's something else I have to have--and not just want, but really, truly, honest-to-Betsy need! 

A Coke Zero. (I'm a huge DC fan, but when it comes to writing there's something in the ZERO that get's my writing juices flowing. And when I say flowing I mean like 11K words a day.)

So the problem? 
No food or drink is allowed in the library. 

Thus the secret: I'm a sneak. 


UPDATE: I took last week off to gorge my body on food. Yeah, yeah, you probably already figured that out. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too . . . that is, if you celebrate the holiday. But if you're like Iain from England, I hope you just had another great week of regular week stuff. 

QUESTIONS: I'm curious, where do you write best? Also, we're all sneaks sometimes, right? When are you super sneaky? And if you're really not sneaky, what did you do last week

 

37 SPLURTS:

prerna pickett said...

I have to have a quiet corner somewhere to write. My best ideas and scenes come to me right before bedtime (very inconvenient). So I make sure I have a pen and paper on hand when inspiration strikes!

Maggie said...

Wow, 11,000 words a day? I maybe ought to check out this Coke Zero thing!

Angela Cothran said...

I'm a sneak too. My treat of choice gummy bears :) I hope no librarians read your blog.

I need quiet to write, but any where quiet will go for me.

Freya Morris said...

Haha - yeh also from the UK so no treats for me.

I'm too worried I'll get caught to be a sneak. Although, I'll do it at the cinema - as I think its daylight robbery the prices they charge.

I'm a die hard fan of DC myself - curses - its just too good.

Jessie Humphries said...

I like to sneak cheap candy into the movies. I hate paying $5 for a friggin box of Junior Mints! I love you too. Like a lot. So send me your dang crap!

Aubrey said...

I love that you're a sneak. ;)

When I really want to get writing done I need to be out of the house too. The best time I had writing was at a retreat. Nothing but writers, computer, notebooks and some headphones for music. Yummy snacks and shared meals with fabulous friends. It was the best writing experience of my life. I need one every weekend.

J. A. Bennett said...

I totally did that the other day! Seriously the best! :)

Jenny S. Morris said...

I sneak like Jessie. Popcorn and drinks are not worth my arm. I write best in my room.

Cristina said...

11,000 words????

I'm off to buy a case of Coke Zero......

Anonymous said...

I'm definitly a movie snack sneak. I bring my own popcorn! Not just because of prices, but my tongue always feels fuzzy after eating their weird, fake butter.

I also sneak at home. Got all my goodies hidden from the kids and have to sneak and get nibbles here and there in the day without being found out. :P

~Amy

Meredith said...

Haha, a little bit of sneaking is good for you. Also, 11K words a day? That's incredible!

Melissa Sarno said...

Ha! Love that you have a spot and that you sneak in the good stuff. I alternate between writing at my desk and the couch in my 'office'. When I have a rare day off and no one else is in my apartment, I write at my kitchen table and the sun pours in. It is my favorite spot because it's special and because of the sun.

David P. King said...

The next time I see a Coke stain on my library book ... ;)

That's awesome. I've yet to really find a place that works best for my writing. I'm been transient for years. Now that I have a home of my own, I can finally set up my dream nook. Hopefully that'll do that trick.

Leigh Covington said...

LOL! I love how this all comes together! You are so funny. I am a sneak too. I can't help myself - sometimes a girls got to do, what a girls got to do!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Same library, but LEFT corner. Seriously-- what are you doing in the right corner? That's just... weird. Sneak. I also like Taco Amigo. Last booth on the right when you walk in the doors. Preferably with an Oreo shake.

Iain said...

I'm shocked that you are a sneak!
You wouldn't catch me doing sneaky stuff. (Not saying I don't do it, just that you wouldn't catch me).
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for remembering that some of us had to the non face stuffing stuff.

CNHolmberg said...

I love Coke, but it makes me pee a lot...

/TMI

Jen Daiker said...

BAHAHAHAHA! This was awesome! You have to do what's best for you and sometimes sneaky is what has to happen! I don't eat enough during my writing binges, candy is what carries me which leaves me with bad tummy aches when I come back to reality. Maybe my husband needs to start being sneaky!

YA Tournament of Heroines: Hermione is my Heroine... Care to join?

E.R. King said...

Sneaking Coca Cola into the library is totally allowed. I mean, come on, it's Coca Cola! My parents are addicted to Coke Zero, but when I drank soda, it was always Diet Coke. Yum.

Melissa Pearl said...

Love this blog! So glad I found it :)

I forget to eat and drink when I'm writing so sneaking required.

Favourite place to write - my room upstairs - it's light, airy and I'm facing a wall covered with photos of people I love.

i'm erin. said...

Yay Melissa Pearl. I'm super happy you're here.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You rebel!
I do my best work at my desk. With my music jamming. And the TV on. (Sometimes muted, sometimes not.) I know, sounds distracting, doesn't it?

Nikki said...

I write after all the children have gone to sleep. And then in the morning I think, "Oh crap. What have I posted?!"

and sneaking... well, I'm a movie treat smuggler too.

Jay Noel said...

You're a beverage sneaker?! How dare thee. Many of those librarians are ninjas. So silent, so deadly. Beware.

prerna pickett said...

thanks for responding to my post! My book is a ya paranormal romance. It's long, currently sitting at 119,000 words. I don't expect critiques back until end of January because of the holiday season and all. E-mail me at prernapickett at yahoo.com if you're interested.

Alleged Author said...

I write best in the living room with Christmas music on. Funny, huh? Did you get your books yet?

i'm erin. said...

Jay, you have no idea how much I love ninjas! You just made me pee a little.

Andrea Mack said...

Usually I like to have quiet. My writing spot isn't too exciting - it's just a room in my house. But one sneaky thing I like to do is eavesdrop on conversations of people I don't know -- sometimes I've gotten great story ideas that way!

Stacy Henrie said...

I like writing at my desk when the house is quiet in the afternoon. I promise not to tell about the coke. :)

Jay Noel said...

Erin,

Your telling me that you peed in your pants a little just made ME pee in my pants a little.

Just a drop.

Patti said...

I write best when the kids aren't home. I may have to try the library, although I might get distracted by all the people watching.

Katie Dodge said...

I always sneak water into the movie. No way am I paying $5 for a bottle of water. And maybe I'll pack in a few treats too. Mama takes her big purse to the movies. ;)

Julianne Donaldson said...

I'm so impressed by your 11K in one day! That is unbelievable. I need to get some of your library magic to rub off on me.

Katie Evans said...

Erin, first of all i love you and your blog makes me laugh everytime i read it! I'm a movie snack sneak unless i go to the watergardens where it's cheap!When i blog i have to have candy, mountain dew and great music playing! :)

Carterista said...

Your blog fans are almost as funny as your posts. Haha. Love it!

Anonymous said...

As usual, so fascinating as well as helpful information on Blogger: erin summerill THE SUMMERILL SURF .

Excellent!!

My web page :: QROPS

Keisha Azzalea said...



Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Alami Penghilang Benjolan Di Leher
Obat Diabetes Herbal Terbaik
Cara Menghancurkan Batu Empedu Secara Alami
Cara Menghilangkan Kanker Rahim Stadium Awal
Cara Mengobati Ambeien Luar
Obat Herbal Tumor Kelenjar Parotis
Tips Pengobatan Alternatif Diabetes Melitus
Obat Kolesterol Alami Untuk Melawan Kolesterol Jahat
Solusi Sehat Dengan Herbal Alami
Pengobatan Syaraf Kejepit Di Kaki