Friday, June 10, 2011

wedding day nightmare.

Did your wedding day go off without a hitch? Was it everything you ever dreamed of? Or did something disastrous happen? Because if the latter is the case, believe me, I completely understand...I'm not saying my own wedding day was an absolute debacle, but I've been to enough weddings to tell you that sometimes...a lot of the time...things don't go as planned.

As in this case:
Monday I arrived at the designated location at 3:30 pm to shoot my lovely bride and handsome groom. Because they didn't have a bridal session, we shot their bridal type images before their ceremony which was to start at 4:00 pm.
First, let me say that it usually takes a few minutes to start shooting. The bride needs to be prepped and then placed in the perfect location that will enhance her loveliness. So basically when I say that we didn't start shooting until 3:45, I'm really saying that it's not because I'm slow. I am not slow! (Sorry, personal issues.)
The shoot continued for 10 or so minutes before I realized my lovely bride didn't have her ring on.
I said, "Hey do you want your ring in these shots?"
"Yes," she said.
And off her sister went to fetch the rings.

5 minutes later:

I glanced over my shoulder and saw my lovely bride's sweet sister with a look of pure petrification on her face.
"Um, Matilda (this is a fake name...but totally cool, right?) what's wrong?" I asked.
"If I tell you, you are going to freak," she said, voice shaking as much as her hands.
Um. Like that statement didn't just freak the bejeezus out of me. Sure.
"No worries. I won't freak," I said. Total lie. "What's up?"

INSERT: As I spoke the wind blew through the field tossing around weeds and wild flowers. Yes, we were standing in a field full of tangled weeds. Awesome...but not ideal for that day's shoot. You'll see.

"Well," she began after much coaxing. She pulled the ring pillow out from behind her back. "The rings are gone. They were on the pillow in the car, but after I walked across this field and jumped over that ditch there, they disappeared."
Holy freaking Moly! You've got to be kidding me, right? Right!?! No. It was the truth. My eyes grew to the size of saucers and I immediately rushed to her side, dropped down to my knees and started searching the field. My bride, bless her sweet soul, kept her composure as her fiance helped me dig through weeds. She even stayed calm after I called in the Calvary to help me search. Friends and family members of the bride came down and dug through the field.

45 minutes later:
I found the bride's ring. I wanted to cry, shout, jump for joy...at least be rewarded with some type of Hart's drink (this didn't happen). We kept searching for the grooms ring.

Alas, we never found it.

The wedding went on as planned, aside from the huge bump. But now I think, as I look fondly on that day, how bad can your wedding day really get? I suppose there's a lot more worse things that could happen than losing rings. But for your sake, I hope not.

luv, erin

8 SPLURTS:

Brooke said...

We also lost our rings on our wedding day, but thankfully it was because Lincoln, who was 4 at the time, was holding them right outside the gazebo and dropped them during the ceremony, they were right beside his seat in the grass. Thankfully he didn't drop them on the long walk from the house to the gazebo... I also had a bridesmaid that had to leave during the ceremony to run behind a nearby barn and puke...repeatedly. Thankfully we couldn't hear or see anything and she returned fully composed shortly thereafter. :)

Nikki said...

oh wow. At least her ring was found!

My wedding day, I found out on the way to the Manti Temple (like almost there) that 5 of my bridesmaids would not be there because they didn't want to come since they couldn't come in the temple anyway. What?! Could anyone have told me this ahead of time?! Okay, obviously I'm not over it. lol

Kristine said...

Oh no! Like Nikki said - at least you found the Brides (the more expensive one!). That's awesome that she stayed cool. Not sure I would have. Although, on my wedding day, my mom kept telling me to just not worry about things. Like my dress, if it got a little dirty on the bottom, so be it. That helped a ton because otherwise I would have freaked out about my dress getting dirty in any way. And to ignore other things because at that point, oh well! It's too late.

Karly said...

I had this really weird wedding photographer. She said random things to my family and everything. Just kidding!

i'm erin. said...

Brooke, NO WAY! That's hilarious. Especially the puking part.

Nikki, I was there. That's all that matters.

Kristine, you have the bet out look in life.

Karly, you are dead to me. ha ha ha

Kami said...

where was this EXACTLY? And what kind of metal was that lost ring. I'm so not planning on getting a metal detector and scouring the feild...NO, that's so NOT my plan. (Pssst...if you help me, I WILL BUY HARTS DRINKS.) hehehe

i'm erin. said...

ha ha ha! Kami, you make me pee my pants.

the fowlers said...

for future reference, my dad has a metal detector (at least, he used to, and he doesn't usually get rid of ... anything).

it may have been used to locate a lost engagement ring before ... and they're still married, probably 10+ years later, so I don't think it's a sign! :)